speaker replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > speaker replacement

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Tooms1121
2012 WK 

speaker replacement

Hi All,

Audio systems are not my bread and butter so I figured I'd ask you guys. I just replaced the head unit in my 94 ZJ (got a nice sony) but the factory speakers are not up to the task. i don't want to blow myself out of the jeep but i would like to have a decent setup. any suggestions on speaker brands? and whats up with the small ones in the dash? what size are those?

thanks,
RP

Tooms1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

Check out Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras. they have just about everything you could think of with customer reviews. They will set you up with wiring harness and diagrams as well. Good luck!
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

i bought the 80 watt pioneers at walmart

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

In the front doors i cut them out and fit 6in 3ways, in the back i got 6in subs and the window hits them but its only back windows. If I were you i would run all your own wires and everything the stock ones are too small usually for aftermarket decks and you'll avoid problems with the factory wire harness and if theirs anything wrong you know where to look to. Makes life easier
stormer1092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
wickerham
1993 ZJ 

Junk yard stock GC Infinitys ftw
wickerham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
5point2NugGreen
1995 ZJ 

Kicker, Boston Acoustics, JL, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, they all make decent door speakers.. you have 4 6 inch round speakers in the doors and I believe the 2 tweeters in the dash are 2 or 3 inches... just go to your local car audio shop or Best Buy. You can do all the door speakers urself really easy if the wiring is there and correct. Actually the dash insn't hard to get off either- there are 3 screws along the guages, 2 above the radio and 2 in the glove box, also, 4 along the vent in the front of the dash. pop off the dash and all u have to do is unscrew the tweeters (they come with a wiring harness too all easy stuff) if your head unit is installed correctly and the wirings right, its just a matter of replacing old speakers with new speakers. You may have to cut the wires out of the old harnesses... Just go to the audio store and buy your favorite speakers they have there, its fun and rewarding.
5point2NugGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

up front i run a set of Infinity reference series 6'3/4 component system with the crossovers mounted in the glovebox, and 6 3/4 JBL 3 ways in the rear, and a pioneer head unit and one powered 10 inch sub. entire system ran me around $700 and rivals the premium factory systems in new cars

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

I try not to spend beyond my hearing range. I found some generic replacements at Walmart.
iPlay1515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

I bought 4 brand new SoundStorm 3-ways at the Roseville Auction for $40 ($10 a speaker after a bit of haggling), and I'm impressed. I have no idea what the originals sounded like because I bought the Jeep with only one working speaker, so I've nothing to compare. But these "cheapo" speakers sound pretty damn good. Now I just need a better stereo, a small-ish amp and a decent subwoofer to pick up better lows. I think I'm gonna build a small box and go with a single 10" so I don't take up too much space in the back.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
95_ZJ_Limited
1995 ZJ 

I did Pioneer 6.5 in speakers in the doors and left the tweeters stock. Overall, its a nice sound that won't destroy your eardrums. The speakers ran me $60 for a pair and were extremely eary to install
95_ZJ_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
purplecty
2003 WJ 

do u all have the infinity system? i am looking for a new setup because old speakers are going out and sound awful... did you guys hook up new speakers to the amp? how do they sound compared to the inifinitys? because i heard its a 2ohm setup and most speakers now r 4 ohms
purplecty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
wickerham
1993 ZJ 

Mine is the Jensen AcousticSound system with JY Infinity speaker all around.
JVC HU with that Bongiovi (that's right Bon Jovi brother!) chip
wickerham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPlay1515 View Post
I try not to spend beyond my hearing range. I found some generic replacements at Walmart.
its not out of your hearing range lol. they have a clean, crisp sound that projects even better due to the separate tweeters. and most of the money on my system was the head unit(239) and powered sub(200)

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my setup, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

I have a Pioneer deck ($180)
Two 6 3/4" Pioneer door speakers (front doors) Built in tweeters ($150)
Two 6 3/4" Sony HD Audio door speakers (back doors) Built in tweeters ($100)
Two 12" Insignia subs (Kit came with 500W amp for $200)
Sony Explod 600W amp (swapped out the insignia) ($250)
Custom made sub box ($50)
Scoche wiring kit and Cap ($100)
Two Pioneer 6x9 speakers in the far back (traded the insignia amp for them)

The whole thing cost me about a grand, sounds really nice and hard to steal (takes three to get box in and out)

If you are not looking for bass then subtract the subs and amps and you will have a pretty good and cheap system.

About the wiring etc, you can get kits at walmart for like 15 bucks. Normally the deck will come with a harness that will work, at least mine did.

Good luck.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #15
95_ZJ_Limited
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
do u all have the infinity system? i am looking for a new setup because old speakers are going out and sound awful... did you guys hook up new speakers to the amp? how do they sound compared to the inifinitys? because i heard its a 2ohm setup and most speakers now r 4 ohms
I did have the infinity sytem. But I installed a New Pioneer DEH 2700 headunit for like $100 it pushes 200 watts

I then did 4 Pioneer 6.5 in. in the 4 doors and it cost me $120. Installed no amp, converter etc because the radio puts out enough watts to drive the speakers on its own.

Hope this helps
95_ZJ_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.