JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   spark plugs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/spark-plugs-213199/)

grandman17 11-23-2005 09:14 PM

spark plugs

i no people ask all the time what are the best sparkplugs for a GC but i have a different ignition and was wandering what would be best for what i want...i have an accel ignition with accel plug wires but i dont no what kind of plugs i should run...i want horsepower but nothing thats going to absolutly suck my gas down just a little somthing to kick it up a little what do you guys think would be the best with accel plugs and ignition??

zjeepin 11-23-2005 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandman17
i no people ask all the time what are the best sparkplugs for a GC but i have a different ignition and was wandering what would be best for what i want...i have an accel ignition with accel plug wires but i dont no what kind of plugs i should run...i want horsepower but nothing thats going to absolutly suck my gas down just a little somthing to kick it up a little what do you guys think would be the best with accel plugs and ignition??

A neighbor of mine installed Bosch +4 Plugs and he actually gets better gas. I have the +2's and I can feel a difference in acceleration. But everyone has there own opinion. :thumbsup:

Test 11-23-2005 09:24 PM

Don't buy any hyped up plugs. I don't believe they are worth the extra money. I just don't see how they can perform any better. After all, a spark is a spark no matter what. In the presence of gasoline and oxygen, anything will ignite it. As for a hot or cold plug....i no nothing about.

mr_user 11-23-2005 10:51 PM

:agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bianchid
A neighbor of mine installed Bosch +4 Plugs and he actually gets better gas. I have the +2's and I can feel a difference in acceleration. But everyone has there own opinion. :thumbsup:

I doubt it man.

The engineers of your truck knew a thing or two, go OEM.

http://websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1062.gif
Matt

greasefingers 11-24-2005 06:15 AM

I do not trust that the manufacturers have accommodated for the extra mass with these cross, split fires, 2 grounds, and 4 grounds plugs. The heat range is the most important property of a plug. The heat range must be maintained in order to avoid pinging and incomplete combustion. I will always use a traditional style spark plug. Oh yea, if any of them claim to increase hp or mileage, then this is sign. Stay away.

Daerksoul 11-24-2005 09:00 PM

While the Accel coil and plug wires aren't junk by any means, they aren't going to do anything to increase horsepower. Neither is any particular spark plug. The best you can hope for is to help your ignition system operate more efficiently, which may translate to better fuel mileage. In my experience, NGK makes a quality spark plug that holds up well and operates as efficiently as any.

-Joe- 11-25-2005 04:08 PM

I recently changed my plugs thinking it might have something to do with an idle problem I had.

I had NGks in there and changed to those champion truck plugs Ive heard people mentioning on here and my MPG dropped 3-5mpg.

I plan on putting some NGKs back in there asap.

CanadianZed-J 11-25-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattfelner
:agree:

I doubt it man.

The engineers of your truck knew a thing or two, go OEM.

http://websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1062.gif
Matt

I agree with Matt. I just put in the +2s and I've definately noticed a performance different. Fuel economy, i haven't noticed a change.

A higher quality plug gives a greater spark igniting more fuel, faster. That doesn't mean you're sacrificing relaibility either.

Sure, the Jeep engineers know a thing or two, but they're also being directed by Jeep executives. And Jeep, just like ANY other car manufacturer, wants to save money.

If Jeeps came from the factory with top quality spark plugs, air intakes, injectors, exaust systems... etc... the thing would cost a lot more, and may affect sales.

Grandman, go for whatever suits your fancy, but I do recomment the Bosch Platinum 2s.

spros95jeep 11-25-2005 04:40 PM

NGK`s are a really good plug. I put in the bosch + 2 plugs (platinum) and they seem to do the trick.

grandman17 11-25-2005 05:50 PM

bush platium series is what came out of it and i may end up putting them back in there thanks for the comments guys

CrawfishStu 11-25-2005 06:06 PM

I may be a newb to the jeep thing...but I know a thing or two about spark. I have a 1977 goldwing that has been highly modified. One of the best things that I did to it was replace the entire ignition system. I did it a component at a time just to see the difference. When I replaced the coils with accel supercoils.....the idle on my bike jumped 300rpm on the next crank. My plugs burned cleaner and lasted longer. Throttle response was better and milage went up. There is something to be said for getting a clean burn from tons of voltage. Good wires gave me a boost as well. Changes in the plugs gave me the least amount of help....in fact stock ngks at the recommended gap were best. Splitfires have been known to catastophically fail in the engine....I've actually seen this and would not risk running small pieces of metal in my engine.

Stu Out

The time now is 01:38 AM.