Spark Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spark Plugs

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Spark Plugs

Well I got a suprise today. I am planning on changing my plugs so I got out the service manual (OEM) to see what Champion plugs I needed. Suprise, suprise, the 04' manual recommends NGK #ZFR5N gapped to .040. I checked the manual for the 00' Cherokee and it said Champion RC12ECC gapped to .035. I think I will go with the Champions.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just slap some Champion Truck plugs in there Everyone seems to love them

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct7brian
Just slap some Champion Truck plugs in there Everyone seems to love them
What number is the truck plug?

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
WVZJ
1998 ZJ 

I ran the NGK's in my 5.2 with great results. No complaints here. Just stay away from the Bosch Platinums.
07 Ram 2500 5.9 ctd
WVZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZJ
I ran the NGK's in my 5.2 with great results. No complaints here. Just stay away from the Bosch Platinums.

I just put replaced my (worn) Champians with some Bosch Platinum 2s. Unfortunately you can't get the Platinum 4 for the 4.0.

I noticed a night & day difference Platinum 2s and the old Champions (I'll say again they were worn.). Fuel economy stayed the same, but it ran smoother and sqauked the tires a little easier too.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #6
det69

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric
Well I got a suprise today. I am planning on changing my plugs so I got out the service manual (OEM) to see what Champion plugs I needed. Suprise, suprise, the 04' manual recommends NGK #ZFR5N gapped to .040. I checked the manual for the 00' Cherokee and it said Champion RC12ECC gapped to .035. I think I will go with the Champions.

I just changed mine as well. The sticker under the hood stated to gap them at .035 and so did the info I found at www.wjjeeps.com. Wonder if I need to regap them? Mine also had NGK plugs from the factory.

04 GC; I-6
det69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What's wrong with the Bosch Platnium's??????
vosevichs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

NGK all the way here. I've got 'em in my 5.2, and had them in my 4.0 (XJ). Vos, the Bosch Platinum discussion was earlier...some people don't like them because of the little bit of extra voltage they need. Some have seen their coil strain a bit.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Yeah the Bosch's need a high power coil otherwise they have a weaker spark than most other plugs out there. They also caused the stock coil to kick twice in my Trans Am. When I put a larger Accel coil in the T/A it worked great. I would run bosch's again only if I put a big coil on. I don't feel like doing that with my GC, as I have other money needs in it.
Unread 11-21-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
OlllllllO Jeep1

I remeber reading somewhere on the YJ side, a discussion of people saying not to use platinum plugs with the 4.0. So is this this reason that you guys are talking about that platinum would need a higher performance coil to fire at their max voltage?

Well anyway I seem to remember Forum guys also saying that the 4.0`s seem to like Autolite plugs. I cant really see what the reason for this. Although I did throw a set of Autolite Copper plugs in my 4.0 ZJ and it doesnt seem to run any differnt than the Champions that were in there.

Then again I dont know if those plugs are new or not, seeing that my 97 has 48k original. I would seem to think that they were probably never changed, so I went ahead and changed them.
OlllllllO Jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #11
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

When I brought my ZJ into the dealer for a re-man tranny, I found my newly installed Bosch plugs on the passenger side floor in a ZipLoc baggie. When I asked why they remove a set of plugs that were only three months old, they only stated that they do not recommend them. They replaced them with the regular Champion plugs.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #12
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
Yeah the Bosch's need a high power coil otherwise they have a weaker spark than most other plugs out there. They also caused the stock coil to kick twice in my Trans Am. When I put a larger Accel coil in the T/A it worked great. I would run bosch's again only if I put a big coil on. I don't feel like doing that with my GC, as I have other money needs in it.
Hey Woody, I used to run the Bosch like a ritual but once I got Nick's ignition upgrades I also changed to plain ole Champions. I am now curious that since my coil is an upgrade to MSD with 8.5 Magnecor wires...what is the best plug. I used to run the stage 2 jet chip and ran a colder plug but man she sucked on gas so I have since taken the chip out and so forth.
Doug
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I like the Champion truck plugs. I have yet to see a spark plug that give an advantage over another though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.