JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Spark Plugs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/spark-plugs-212207/)

michiganmaveric 11-20-2005 08:20 PM

Spark Plugs
 
Well I got a suprise today. I am planning on changing my plugs so I got out the service manual (OEM) to see what Champion plugs I needed. Suprise, suprise, the 04' manual recommends NGK #ZFR5N gapped to .040. I checked the manual for the 00' Cherokee and it said Champion RC12ECC gapped to .035. I think I will go with the Champions.

oct7brian 11-20-2005 08:53 PM

Just slap some Champion Truck plugs in there :thumbsup: Everyone seems to love them

michiganmaveric 11-20-2005 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oct7brian
Just slap some Champion Truck plugs in there :thumbsup: Everyone seems to love them

What number is the truck plug?

WVZJ 11-20-2005 09:21 PM

I ran the NGK's in my 5.2 with great results. No complaints here. Just stay away from the Bosch Platinums.

CanadianZed-J 11-20-2005 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZJ
I ran the NGK's in my 5.2 with great results. No complaints here. Just stay away from the Bosch Platinums.


I just put replaced my (worn) Champians with some Bosch Platinum 2s. Unfortunately you can't get the Platinum 4 for the 4.0.

I noticed a night & day difference Platinum 2s and the old Champions (I'll say again they were worn.). Fuel economy stayed the same, but it ran smoother and sqauked the tires a little easier too.

det69 11-21-2005 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganmaveric
Well I got a suprise today. I am planning on changing my plugs so I got out the service manual (OEM) to see what Champion plugs I needed. Suprise, suprise, the 04' manual recommends NGK #ZFR5N gapped to .040. I checked the manual for the 00' Cherokee and it said Champion RC12ECC gapped to .035. I think I will go with the Champions.


I just changed mine as well. The sticker under the hood stated to gap them at .035 and so did the info I found at www.wjjeeps.com. Wonder if I need to regap them? Mine also had NGK plugs from the factory.

04 GC; I-6

vosevichs 11-21-2005 08:46 AM

What's wrong with the Bosch Platnium's??????

FPKites 11-21-2005 08:59 AM

NGK all the way here. I've got 'em in my 5.2, and had them in my 4.0 (XJ). Vos, the Bosch Platinum discussion was earlier...some people don't like them because of the little bit of extra voltage they need. Some have seen their coil strain a bit.

Woody 11-21-2005 09:04 AM

Yeah the Bosch's need a high power coil otherwise they have a weaker spark than most other plugs out there. They also caused the stock coil to kick twice in my Trans Am. When I put a larger Accel coil in the T/A it worked great. I would run bosch's again only if I put a big coil on. I don't feel like doing that with my GC, as I have other money needs in it.

OlllllllO Jeep1 11-21-2005 10:28 AM

I remeber reading somewhere on the YJ side, a discussion of people saying not to use platinum plugs with the 4.0. So is this this reason that you guys are talking about that platinum would need a higher performance coil to fire at their max voltage?

Well anyway I seem to remember Forum guys also saying that the 4.0`s seem to like Autolite plugs. I cant really see what the reason for this. Although I did throw a set of Autolite Copper plugs in my 4.0 ZJ and it doesnt seem to run any differnt than the Champions that were in there.

Then again I dont know if those plugs are new or not, seeing that my 97 has 48k original. I would seem to think that they were probably never changed, so I went ahead and changed them.

greasefingers 11-21-2005 10:57 AM

When I brought my ZJ into the dealer for a re-man tranny, I found my newly installed Bosch plugs on the passenger side floor in a ZipLoc baggie. When I asked why they remove a set of plugs that were only three months old, they only stated that they do not recommend them. They replaced them with the regular Champion plugs.

nashmd454 11-21-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
Yeah the Bosch's need a high power coil otherwise they have a weaker spark than most other plugs out there. They also caused the stock coil to kick twice in my Trans Am. When I put a larger Accel coil in the T/A it worked great. I would run bosch's again only if I put a big coil on. I don't feel like doing that with my GC, as I have other money needs in it.

Hey Woody, I used to run the Bosch like a ritual but once I got Nick's ignition upgrades I also changed to plain ole Champions. I am now curious that since my coil is an upgrade to MSD with 8.5 Magnecor wires...what is the best plug. I used to run the stage 2 jet chip and ran a colder plug but man she sucked on gas so I have since taken the chip out and so forth.
Doug

Woody 11-22-2005 09:25 AM

I like the Champion truck plugs. I have yet to see a spark plug that give an advantage over another though.


The time now is 09:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.