Spark plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spark plugs

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Scnegron
1996 ZJ 

Spark plugs

Hey fellas, I have seen several threads on different plugs. What I'm seeing the most is the autolite 3923's. I know they aren't listed under the grand cherokee but, what are the reasons people prefer these over all other plugs? Do they make that much of a difference? By the way, I have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee 5.2 , thanks in advance guys!
A

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Scnegron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

I just put mine in on friday, along with 8mm summit brand wires and an msd ignition coil. They're 1 stage colder than stock. A lot of the guys on thespeedfreaks run them. I think I read on there that they give 5 hp over stock.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Scnegron
1996 ZJ 

Wow, ok so is it true that the magnum engines prefer the cheapie plugs? I'm hoping that this helps the pinging under load i recently started hearing. If it doesn't, I guess I'll be attacking the belly pan gasket, plus I only average about 11.2mpg city and about 17.4 highway.

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Scnegron
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713
I just put mine in on friday, along with 8mm summit brand wires and an msd ignition coil. They're 1 stage colder than stock. A lot of the guys on thespeedfreaks run them. I think I read on there that they give 5 hp over stock.
Also i forgot to ask you, how do you like them? And does the mad ignition coil make any noticeable difference?

Unread 04-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
I would like to see what else was done to achieve 5 hp with a plug change. Not to say it can not be done, but I would bet other modifications were made prior to the need for colder plugs to make 5 HP.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... Sorry But I'm one of the old Guys .. I say use only Champion Plugs or you'll be sorry.
I also worked for Chrysler for 7 years and when we had a vehicle come in with any thing other than Champion in them they had to be changed to champion. I have no Ideal how many I saw come in with plugs from auto ZONE that would not run . New set of stock Champions and good to go.
.. Let us know how you luck turns out .
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt View Post
... Sorry But I'm one of the old Guys .. I say use only Champion Plugs or you'll be sorry.
I also worked for Chrysler for 7 years and when we had a vehicle come in with any thing other than Champion in them they had to be changed to champion. I have no Ideal how many I saw come in with plugs from auto ZONE that would not run . New set of stock Champions and good to go.
2x! I've had a few mopar, ford & GM's over the last 40 years. Mopar runs Champion or other high quality copper core plugs. Heat range is dependant upon compression ratio, cam style, timing and fuel. Ya learned to read plugs fast or your slow.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scnegron View Post
Also i forgot to ask you, how do you like them? And does the mad ignition coil make any noticeable difference?

They probably did make a difference, but I just installed headers a couple weeks ago, so after that, I'm not sure. They're good compliments to other performance mods. I also have a mopar performance pcm, so I'm not exactly stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
I would like to see what else was done to achieve 5 hp with a plug change. Not to say it can not be done, but I would bet other modifications were made prior to the need for colder plugs to make 5 HP.
I'm not saying they definitely make 5 more hp, thats just what I read.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've had Autolite double platinum, Champion copper, NGK, and regular Autolite in my 4.0. They all ran about the same, about the same gas mileage. On mine, the rear cylinder tends to foul the plug after about a year, light tan hard build up on one side of the electrode, I think it's from the CCV. The stock plugs extend into the chamber more and seem to foul faster than the NGK and Autolite. I have Autolite 3924 with cut back side elecrtrodes in there now. Changing plugs is pretty easy and relatively cheap so I'm willing to experiment with them.

Back when I sold parts and customers would ask what the best spark plugs were I'd always tell them "New ones". If they asked what brand I'd say to stick with OEM. AC Delco for GM, Champion for MOPAR, Motorcraft for Ford, and NGK or Denso for the Asians. We didn't get a lot of euro cars but the few OEM plugs I saw were either Bosch or make specific.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Scnegron
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93
I've had Autolite double platinum, Champion copper, NGK, and regular Autolite in my 4.0. They all ran about the same, about the same gas mileage. On mine, the rear cylinder tends to foul the plug after about a year, light tan hard build up on one side of the electrode, I think it's from the CCV. The stock plugs extend into the chamber more and seem to foul faster than the NGK and Autolite. I have Autolite 3924 with cut back side elecrtrodes in there now. Changing plugs is pretty easy and relatively cheap so I'm willing to experiment with them.

Back when I sold parts and customers would ask what the best spark plugs were I'd always tell them "New ones". If they asked what brand I'd say to stick with OEM. AC Delco for GM, Champion for MOPAR, Motorcraft for Ford, and NGK or Denso for the Asians. We didn't get a lot of euro cars but the few OEM plugs I saw were either Bosch or make specific.
What do you mean by "cut back sides"?

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

You use a Dremel with a fine cutting wheel or a file to remove the tip of the side electrode so that the side electrode ends directly over the center of the center electrode. That way when the plug fires the flame kernel has a clearer route away from the plug. It's something I've seen attributed to old racers but I believe I saw it in Vizard's How to Build Horsepower Volume 1. It seems to add a horspower or two at the expense of needing to change plugs every year which I already do. If you really want to nit pick it you can also index your plugs so the side electrode points to the exhaust valve.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2...-side-gapping/
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Scnegron
1996 ZJ 

Oh I c, never heard anything like that lol, sounds interesting though.

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt
Horse hockey,champions suck ***.i use autolite in every chrysler vehicle i own and they run just fine
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Scnegron
1996 ZJ 

Lmao so it's a tie between stock champions and autolite 3924.

Unread 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Duster that was hard for me to swallow also.. But in 7 years at 100 cars a day how many more have I seen than the average guy. Maybe not in every case AS IN YOUR CASE.. But when the shop foreman Told us to sell the customer a new set of Champions because their car had brand new NGK's or others in it. And the test equipment said no.? missfire . Get out your best sells tools because it was about to be a hard sale. But when it fixed it . You could move on.
... Now I personally had one issue with this . I had at my parts store sold Champions for years but the ware house system I'd sold out to, wanted me to sell their Nippondenso's . So I have a 90 Dodge truck 318 I put their nipp in it but it'd barely run. So I put my old Champions back in it and it rans better.
.. I called them ******* at headquarters and told them . they disagreed with me still . So I defected out that set of NIPP and out in a new set they to ran Bad . So I pulled them out and went to Walmart & got a new set old Champions. My TRUCK RAN GREAT until I sold it a couple years later.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.