Spark Plug Preferences - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spark Plug Preferences

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
wickerham
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajpr View Post
I dont think that Champion makes the truck plugs anymore. I went to their web site and they are not listed and everyone I ask says they are not producing them anymore. I went on the web just a few weeks ago and finnally found 2 boxes(12) of the Champion truck plugs but the auto parts store said that they are going to be the last as they are not making them anymore.
get 'em while you can find 'em

wickerham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

I ran the regular Botch Platinums in my 94' 4.0, from 20k-101k(81k total) got 20mpg and never had any problems. My current 95' 5.2, has had them since 85k and I now have 142k(57k total so far), still no problems. The point of the platinums is I never change them, that's were the saving $$ and time are saved. I also keep my trucks well tuned and maintained, that keeps me out from under the hood. I also have them in my wifes 03' 4.7 V8, 15k no problems, 19.5 average mpg.

And many other vehicles, no problems, too many too list. My father-in-law ran a set in his Ranger for 165k.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

For electrical upgrades, you might look at the ground strap that connects under the jeep on the passenger side. It stretches around the exhaust and is a cheap metal woven strap. It's probably broken if you've not looked for it before. I added in a 2ga cable in its place I still have no idea what that woven strap is for though.

...and I keep the battery connections clean. The batt connectors are not very beefy from OEM and tend to be the culprit for some with electrical issues.

Also, anywhere I see a ground connection, since it has about 8-9 years on it, I've been removing them, cleaning them up and tightening them back down.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
MN_NATV
1995 ZJ 

In my 95 5.2, I run Champion RC12YC's, stock plug. I'm not sure how sensitive the WJ's are, but I had a 2000 Neon that would throw a CEL if anything Platinum/Iridium/multiple ground electrode were in, so I just stuck with the RC9YC's, no need to spend more than 2 bucks a plug.
MN_NATV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

just had my jeep to the dealer for an"eco check" spoke directly to a well worn lifetime chrysler tech. i asked about plug type to improve fuel economy and he informed me of the "techeey stuff " which is over my head but the bottom line was that they were controlled by the vehicles electronic system and the factory plugs were the best period. life might me longer on some than others but performance is predetermined.
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #21
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
I ran the regular Botch Platinums in my 94' 4.0, from 20k-101k(81k total) got 20mpg and never had any problems. My current 95' 5.2, has had them since 85k and I now have 142k(57k total so far), still no problems. The point of the platinums is I never change them, that's were the saving $$ and time are saved. I also keep my trucks well tuned and maintained, that keeps me out from under the hood. I also have them in my wifes 03' 4.7 V8, 15k no problems, 19.5 average mpg.

And many other vehicles, no problems, too many too list. My father-in-law ran a set in his Ranger for 165k.
19.5 average. combined city/highway? if so how in the h*** are you doing that? i am all about fuel economy and i am interest in your ideas as i have an 03 wj w/4.7. any input would be helpful.
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 05:18 AM   #22
OH-ZJ-IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
best or most expensive thing you could find?
Yeah, that was a really relevant comment.

Everyone has favorites. Some are based on studies and claims and some are based on 'what dad always did' thoughts and some on experience, etc.

The bottom line is use something you feel good about. If you think is it an improvement or an advantage then it is. Get opinions and go with what sounds best to you. If you get a 'name' plug then quality isn't going to be an issue. The differences in spark plugs in a Jeep will be minor at best. MPG and performance will be affected more by driving habits than the different plug options. I'm not disagreeing with any opinions on plugs here. All of them are valid. Try some out and see what you like.

OH-ZJ-IO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #23
96ZjBurner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
best or most expensive thing you could find?
best not the most expensive ive put these in all 3 of my cars and they work great every time. i have seen performance increases in some ways in each of the different vehicles. havent u ever heard of iridium and what it can do?
96ZjBurner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #24
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymack View Post
Installing Champion Double Platinum spark plugs tomorrow.

What brands do you guys use? Are the Bosch 4-prong platinum plugs any good?? I've heard mixed reviews.

What other electrical system mods do you recommend??
I always use what the mfg. calls and never had any problems, ever. I think all those precious metal plugs are just snake oil to empty your pocket. I have used some of them a long time ago and never noticed any difference pro or con!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.