Spark Plug Maintenance Schedule, miles or time? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spark Plug Maintenance Schedule, miles or time?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
AdamJ
2002 WJ 

Spark Plug Maintenance Schedule, miles or time?

I had the spark plugs on my 2002 4.7L HO replaced by the dealership on March 2007 at 77K. As far as I know, those plugs in there were the originals, I bought the rig used at 72K.

According to my service information, the plugs should be replaced every 30K or 2 Years. I'm at 92K right now, so I have put only 14K on the current set in 2 years (It only drive it a few times a month or so).

Even though its been 2 years I don't feel at all like the plugs need to be replaced yet. Personally I feel the plugs can go by more of a milage basis instead of time, so I was going to wait until they have a good 30K on them. Would you agree?

Also, I took it to the dealership to do the plugs because the rears looked difficult to get to, they charged in the neighborhood of $250 parts/labor for the replacement. The plugs themselves are relatively cheap, so if the rears are not as hard to do as I'm thinking they are, maybe I should attempt to do them myself the next time?

Thanks!

2002 Black WJ LTD 4.7 H.O. - SCT XCal2 Perf Tune, K&N FIPK, F&B 72mm Throttle Body, 180* TStat, Custom 3" Flowmaster Super 40 & Hi-Flow Cat Exhaust, IAT Relocate, TM Removal, Addco F&R SwayBars, Eibach 1.5" Drop, Edelbrock P-IAS Shocks, Cragar Cryo D&S Fnt Rotors and PowerSlot Rr Rotors w/Hawk HPS Shoes, Black SRT8 Wheels, Goodyear GTII P275/45VR20 Tires - CarDomain Site
AdamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Turbonut

Mileage. Save some money and change yourself. They aren't difficult to change, but I use an air compressor to blow out the tubes before removing the plugs, and after applying never seize, I use a small diameter rubber hose attached to the top to get the plug started. Easier feel than the deep socket, just to avoid any cross threading possibility.

Here's some reading:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/sparkplugs.htm#REMOVE47
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.