Spark plug heat shields - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spark plug heat shields

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-29-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Spark plug heat shields

Went to do a tune up on my 96 5.2 and discovered these little heat shield thingies that keep my handy dandy spark plug removing socket from reaching the plug. Is there some secret to removing them, or do I need a thin-walled 5/8" socket? I did try twisting and wriggling one, but it seems to be pretty firmly entrenched. I thought before I get the hammer I would check on here for suggestions. Thanks!

Just re-examined the socket, and there is no thinner walled one than what I have, so it stands to reason these things have got to come off. Haynes is oblivious, so I am relying on somebody here to give me the inside scoop.

Last edited by Meerkat; 12-29-2003 at 01:18 PM..
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2003, 02:54 PM   #2
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

maybe its bent or something mine came out ..No problem..

Good luck..
Unread 12-29-2003, 03:18 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy
maybe its bent or something mine came out ..No problem..

Good luck..
Thanks, I just talked to the fellers down at the local tune 'em up place, and was told they are a friction fit and should pull straight out with pliers. It helps just to know they aren't threaded in or have lock screws. I got the rotor, cap, and wires changed (my arm is bleeding nicely) so I figure I'll do plugs tomorrow, or maybe the day after, or maybe next week....

Thanks for the info!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.