spark plug diagnosis - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > spark plug diagnosis

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Yes ... Champions will last the longest, have the best performance, and will be the least problematic out of all of the other plugs. Some may argue, but they don't know ****

Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Put in some Champions just last week! I'm running great with no problems at all.
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #18
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

this has gone from spark plug diagnosis to all hail the CHAMPIONS thread.
cloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

It's in your head. You did not see any performance increase from changing those plugs out, unless one of them was defective.
Unread 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Champion.

No really, I just put them in because it was my first plug change and that's what Jeep recommends.
Unread 08-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
taythegibs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

when i got my zj it missfired like crazy, i replaced them with some good ole champions and now it never misses and ive got loads more power, of course my plugs were 5miles from being non-existent......
taythegibs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

According to Horsepower TV, E3s give more hp and burn less gas. Proven by their dyno and measuring equip.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #23
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post
According to Horsepower TV, E3s give more hp and burn less gas. Proven by their dyno and measuring equip.
I call BS on any claim like that. While it's a possibility that they may increase power, whatever increase that is will be marginal and the other variables involved (ambient air temperature, who's doing the dyno pull, etc) will overcome it, so it's impossible to say they provide more power and better mileage.

Basically, a spark plug is a spark plug. The only real benefit to a platinum/iridium plug is the longer life, and they are more durable when used in applications with high voltage ignition systems. The multi tipped plugs are a joke, everyone knows that electricity takes the path of least resistance to ground. Meaning, that if say you have say a 3 tip plug, unless you have all three tips gapped EXACTLY the same, the charge will arc to the closest tip.

A copper plug gapped correctly will provide the the least troublesome operation life. I prefer Autolite copper cores over Champions because of some bad experiences with Champion plug construction, but when gapped at regular intervals, either will work very well in just about any car.
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #24
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
It's in your head. You did not see any performance increase from changing those plugs out, unless one of them was defective.
i didn't seen any performance increase,

but i did regain fuel economy and throttle response lost due to a change in heat range ( from 11 to 12, off par back to oem) and new plugs.

the numbers don't lie, not using the dope scope to get my mpg, good old pencil + paper and math.

i find it rather ignorant to say that a simple change in plugs wouldn't net you a more efficient spark and combustion sequence. especially from a " junior mechanic "

oh teh interwebz...

that's almost as ignorant as saying a new air filter, fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, new o2 sensors , exhaust system or coil packs wouldn't return your engine to it's most efficient state of operation. i'm not a mechanic by any means. but i am a scientist by trade. any means of transfering power, in or out of an engine that is restored to it's original state has a equal effect on productivity of power.

newton son.

every action........... you know.
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #25
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post
Proven by their dyno and measuring equip.
Yup
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #26
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloiselle View Post
i didn't seen any performance increase,

but i did regain fuel economy and throttle response lost due to a change in heat range ( from 11 to 12, off par back to oem) and new plugs.

the numbers don't lie, not using the dope scope to get my mpg, good old pencil + paper and math.

i find it rather ignorant to say that a simple change in plugs wouldn't net you a more efficient spark and combustion sequence. especially from a " junior mechanic "

oh teh interwebz...

that's almost as ignorant as saying a new air filter, fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, new o2 sensors , exhaust system or coil packs wouldn't return your engine to it's most efficient state of operation. i'm not a mechanic by any means. but i am a scientist by trade. any means of transfering power, in or out of an engine that is restored to it's original state has a equal effect on productivity of power.

newton son.

every action........... you know.
Well you might not be a mechanic... But I am. And unless there is something wrong with the plugs, the air filter, fuel filter, exhaust system or coil packs, you will not see any performance and or mileage increase by changing them. Only thing you will see is a dent in your pocket.

Btw, aren't you the one that claimed something like 27mpg out of your 4.7?
Unread 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #27
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

i averaged 26.4 mpg on a trip from kankakee to dwight IL, reseting my dope scope after filling up and ending it when i pulled into the parking lot of where i was going, that was after new plugs, filter, oil , coils and adjusted air pressure.

guess you zj boys don't know much about a more efficient and productive engine or how to light foot it for a whole trip. i touched the brakes once, and that was when i pulled into the parking lot at my destination. 55mph the whole way was a buzz kill but i kept it groovy baby ;0) a little hendrix through the infinities to boot. it was like 1974 all over again.
Unread 08-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #28
Katesdad

Autolites are great plugs I like them alot. But they should be lasting 40-50k so you cranked the air pressure lol

Reddick Red **** my fav town name on 17.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #29
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesdad View Post
so you cranked the air pressure lol
I assume that he is referring to the fact that a dirty air filter results in a higher air pressure pressure drop across the filter. The higher pressure drop will result in a slower velocity of the air across the filter. With a clean filter, that means that there will be more air per unit time and thus more O2 for complete combustion per unit time. Makes sense.
Unread 08-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #30
Katesdad

40 psi (or higher) offers lower rolling resistance than 34psi also. Besides thats a 30 mile trip hardly something thats going to tell the real story.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.