spark and fuel no start? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > spark and fuel no start?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Reply
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
check the spark with an actual plug. you need to know if it's getting a hot enough spark and the screwdriver trick won't tell you that.

also, check that the injectors are pulsing properly. are all the plugs fuel fouled?
ok getting the plug in cylinder 1 was easy once I got the boot off wish I had smaller hands but it looked like this

forumrunner_20130123_204504.jpg



forumrunner_20130123_204529.jpg

xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
check the spark with an actual plug. you need to know if it's getting a hot enough spark and the screwdriver trick won't tell you that.

also, check that the injectors are pulsing properly. are all the plugs fuel fouled?
Sorry for the lack if knowledge I'm learning as I go
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,794
it's out of focus but that looks like mechanical damage to the insulator there...pull all the plugs and inspect them. doesn't look like they've been changed in a very long time.
__________________
'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
it's out of focus but that looks like mechanical damage to the insulator there...pull all the plugs and inspect them. doesn't look like they've been changed in a very long time.
Yea I got it from my Grandpa said he replaced them he got it at about 140k miles I got it at 178kish it's at 215k need to go Jeep shopping soon. And didn't see any damage just alot of build up of ash I got new plugs now need to get wires tomorrow and I'll throw them in I'll let you know where I end up tomorrow.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
it's out of focus but that looks like mechanical damage to the insulator there...pull all the plugs and inspect them. doesn't look like they've been changed in a very long time.
Hey man nice Jeep it's a GC eh? hard to see on the phone how is the mpg with those tires wanting to upgrade mine but still want decent mpg.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #21
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Hey man nice Jeep it's a GC eh? hard to see on the phone how is the mpg with those tires wanting to upgrade mine but still want decent mpg.
Yeah, was on 35" baja claws, 4.5" Clayton long arms, 8.8, 5spd nv3500 trans, 3.73 gears.
Bunch of engine bolt ons.
Gets about 12 combined, it has gotten 11 city, 15hwy since I put 32" bfg at/ko's on it.

Ash isn't a good sign, that usually means a bad head gasket or oil leak.

A tune up might fix your issues, you're well beyond ready.
__________________
'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Yeah, was on 35" baja claws, 4.5" Clayton long arms, 8.8, 5spd nv3500 trans, 3.73 gears.
Bunch of engine bolt ons.
Gets about 12 combined, it has gotten 11 city, 15hwy since I put 32" bfg at/ko's on it.

Ash isn't a good sign, that usually means a bad head gasket or oil leak.

A tune up might fix your issues, you're well beyond ready.
well i went to start it after new plugs and wires and it was really close to starting. i got the right plugs but i guess i can pull the wires off and make shure there on nice some of them are a little sketchy. but the coolent in the resevare just a little dirty last coolent flush i didnt get all the old stuff out completely but it smells like coolent even took some out and no separation not shure if they have the same no bubbles nothing just smells like coolent
so the possibility of not getting enough air or pcm possibly shot or timing off there is a oil leak by the oil filter it isnt the filter its o rings were it connects but inside forgot there name

Guess I'll pressure test the cylinders can anyone point me to a good guide? Incase it is the hg
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Yeah, was on 35" baja claws, 4.5" Clayton long arms, 8.8, 5spd nv3500 trans, 3.73 gears.
Bunch of engine bolt ons.
Gets about 12 combined, it has gotten 11 city, 15hwy since I put 32" bfg at/ko's on it.

Ash isn't a good sign, that usually means a bad head gasket or oil leak.

A tune up might fix your issues, you're well beyond ready.
Hey man I re checked the fuel pressure on rail and when I first turn the key it goes at 42 then second later goes to 34ish then goes to 37 idk if it was the gauge but is 37 the end result makes since on why sometimes when it's cranking it will sort of sputter. I don't know what's suppose to be on the rail I know there pumps put out 80
I really want to know why my Jeep dies when it has a full tank.. Everytime replacing it with 25 gallons of ****ing gas oh lord help me sort of hoping someone siphons some.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
1skrewsloose
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LaCrosse, Wi Area, Wi
Posts: 124
Can't say for sure, but, plugs look way different from the plugs for my 98 gc. A lot of porcelain showing, not sure if that means cold or hot plug? If you have spark at the right time and hit the throttle body with starter fluid seems like it should fire up. New wires, cap, rotor, proper gap on plugs?
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #25
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
Can't say for sure, but, plugs look way different from the plugs for my 98 gc. A lot of porcelain showing, not sure if that means cold or hot plug? If you have spark at the right time and hit the throttle body with starter fluid seems like it should fire up. New wires, cap, rotor, proper gap on plugs?
Plugs said don't gap and couldn't find the gaper so I went with it. I'll go buy starter fluid do I spray it in there well it's cranking or just spray then crank?
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #26
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
Can't say for sure, but, plugs look way different from the plugs for my 98 gc. A lot of porcelain showing, not sure if that means cold or hot plug? If you have spark at the right time and hit the throttle body with starter fluid seems like it should fire up. New wires, cap, rotor, proper gap on plugs?
Yea idk there autolight platnum or something new ones look like the old ones
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
1slo_camaro
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape May/North East, NJ/MD
Posts: 1,073
subscribing. i had the same issue, my jeep was running fine. then went into walmart came out and no fire. checked all the dumb stuff did i have gas in the tank. blown fuse blah blah blah.... couldnt figure out. called my old man. we went through it ridiculously! screwdriver in the wire, then a plug in the wire. starting fluid, hell i even sprayed starting fluid directly into the chamber (yes i know its not ideal, but desperate measure) 42 psi of fuel and when you pull the plug and turn the motor over it spits fuel out the hole...... i am kinda kicking myself in the *** for not replacing the coil, but i had a spare motor and jumped the gun and yanked the motor and hopefully tomorrow dropping my dizzy in the spare motor and HOPEFULLY firing it up tomorrow. if not i will replace the coil and see where that puts me..... if not i am starting to give up because myself and my dad (close to 30 years of experience with cars, trucks, boats, diesel, heavy machines... not a dummy lol) but we are completely stumped with it and everything checks out, we have compression (no i didnt test it with a gauge, did the redneck finger trick and it was enough to blow your finger off with force, ive seen low compression motors and high compression...12:1 comp motors. and it felt decent) we have fuel, we have spark..... but no fire.... no fire at all. it doesnt even stumble like it wants to start.


so i look forward to you finding the issue and helping me. or if i can find what happend with mine i will post up and maybe help you out
__________________
1998 ZJ~~V.r 4~~4.0 with a bunch of fancy stuff that makes it look pretty sitting in the driveway.
PM me for 99+ intake manifolds for sale
$125-sandblasted and painted and shipped
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:00 AM   #28
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
subscribing. i had the same issue, my jeep was running fine. then went into walmart came out and no fire. checked all the dumb stuff did i have gas in the tank. blown fuse blah blah blah.... couldnt figure out. called my old man. we went through it ridiculously! screwdriver in the wire, then a plug in the wire. starting fluid, hell i even sprayed starting fluid directly into the chamber (yes i know its not ideal, but desperate measure) 42 psi of fuel and when you pull the plug and turn the motor over it spits fuel out the hole...... i am kinda kicking myself in the *** for not replacing the coil, but i had a spare motor and jumped the gun and yanked the motor and hopefully tomorrow dropping my dizzy in the spare motor and HOPEFULLY firing it up tomorrow. if not i will replace the coil and see where that puts me..... if not i am starting to give up because myself and my dad (close to 30 years of experience with cars, trucks, boats, diesel, heavy machines... not a dummy lol) but we are completely stumped with it and everything checks out, we have compression (no i didnt test it with a gauge, did the redneck finger trick and it was enough to blow your finger off with force, ive seen low compression motors and high compression...12:1 comp motors. and it felt decent) we have fuel, we have spark..... but no fire.... no fire at all. it doesnt even stumble like it wants to start.

so i look forward to you finding the issue and helping me. or if i can find what happend with mine i will post up and maybe help you out
Yea I'll tell you if I find something you have the same problem I want to push mine in a river. It's Probly something so small I'm just happy AutoZone has to do returns did you try double or triple priming it? Sometimes that works for people.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
melk
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,891
If everything else appears ok, that leaves the PCM.... have you cleaned the connectors and one of you hold them tight/wiggle them while you crank it?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #30
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
If everything else appears ok, that leaves the PCM.... have you cleaned the connectors and one of you hold them tight/wiggle them while you crank it?
pcm connected to the firewall on passenger side right?
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
broke , jeep , no start , zj

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.