spark and fuel no start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > spark and fuel no start?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

im stumped my 94 jeep gc larado isnt starting gets gas spark so in the normal world it would start had fuel pressure tested was good full tank. it started when i woke up at 4 in the morning it was cold like 20 degrees and went to start it and it turns over slow dead battery or weak but i got a new one after work got the wrong one posts were on the wrong side they still made it to the posts so i went to it went to fire it up and it just cranks it was running good the night before. and the rotor moves. help please driving the car cant be this low to the ground

I also replaced the alt a week before it didn't start but with the new alt it was always at 14 volts

Last edited by xrunndonex; 01-23-2013 at 02:29 PM..
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

and its a 6cyl
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Weak or dead battery might have caused the engine to become flooded, put the throttle to the floor and crank it for a few seconds and see if it starts. It could also be a number of things like an IAC stuck not allowing enough air to bypass for idle, this should at least make it sound like it wants to start, but you might try cleaning it or at least spray a little cleaner in the throttle body. Try this stuff first and let us know.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I had a similar problem once, cold snap and wouldn't start not the dead battery. Turned out to be a bad coil. It was bad enough it wouldn't start but still managed to throw an arc when I tested it. I was going through a coil a year back then so I kept a spare under the back seat. Coil failures are generally rare but it seems like the 4.0 coil placement let's them get hot and fail prematurely. Might be worth finding a friend with a 4.0 to try swapping coils with. I upgraded to an MSD coil and made a bracket to move the coil up behind the AC compressor. No bad coils in the last 3 years.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

make sure the rotor button is not broken. Happened to me and took myself many hours and a master technician many hours to figure it out. Most expensive rotor button I ever purchased.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
make sure the rotor button is not broken. Happened to me and took myself many hours and a master technician many hours to figure it out. Most expensive rotor button I ever purchased.
Isn't that the on top of the rotor that the power from the coil goes to? I have new rotor and cap put a coil in and nothing new happened held the gas down well starting and nothing but whenever I go to start it most of the time it will crank and for a slight second it sounds like it's going to turn over but it don't. I'm going to mess with it later gotta go do family **** now lol
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Weak or dead battery might have caused the engine to become flooded, put the throttle to the floor and crank it for a few seconds and see if it starts. It could also be a number of things like an IAC stuck not allowing enough air to bypass for idle, this should at least make it sound like it wants to start, but you might try cleaning it or at least spray a little cleaner in the throttle body. Try this stuff first and let us know.
It's really clean I clean it every now and then. It has a oil leak and I hear sometimes cars won't start if they have no or little oil could it be that?
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you installed the battery backwards and tried to crank it? sure fire way to kill your pcm there.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
you installed the battery backwards and tried to crank it? sure fire way to kill your pcm there.
No the posts were just on the other side the other one the posts were by the windshield and this one there towards the grill there still on the right posts haha
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

how did you check for spark?
how did you check for fuel getting into the cylinders?
does the check engine light come on for 3 seconds at key on?

Unread 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

I'm curious how fuel and spark where tested too. It should start if them are good.

Is the air filter or intake blocked?
Trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
how did you check for spark?
how did you check for fuel getting into the cylinders?
does the check engine light come on for 3 seconds at key on?
Had someone come over has a heavily modified civic came with a pressure tester from the rail and you can smell unburned gas in the cylinders when you take plugs out. And wires used a screwdriver to see if there good same with plugs never did check the plug in 1 it's blocked by the a/c. And yes the engine light does come on and goes away in 3 seconds
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick440 View Post
I'm curious how fuel and spark where tested too. It should start if them are good.

Is the air filter or intake blocked?
Nope there both good.
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

check the spark with an actual plug. you need to know if it's getting a hot enough spark and the screwdriver trick won't tell you that.

also, check that the injectors are pulsing properly. are all the plugs fuel fouled?

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
check the spark with an actual plug. you need to know if it's getting a hot enough spark and the screwdriver trick won't tell you that.

also, check that the injectors are pulsing properly. are all the plugs fuel fouled?
Alright I'll do that and by fuel foiled you mean smell like gas? I mean I should just go buy some tomorrow how much are wires? I'm sure the stock wires are on it and it has 215k miles ha

Tags
broke , jeep , no start , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.