spark @ coil, no spark @ plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > spark @ coil, no spark @ plugs

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
94GC52

spark @ coil, no spark @ plugs

the jeep died on the highway and wouldnt start back up. it has spark coming from the coil but not from the plugs, can i rule out the crank sensor if it has spark at the coil? the connections under the disro cap have some corrosion possibly blocking spark from getting to the plugs. and whats the secret to getting the cap out from under the firewall? cant get it past the dipstick on the drivers side and the passenger side is blocked by all the hoses and vacuum lines

94GC52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
94GC52

ok i got the new cap and rotor on and still no spark, i checked the coil and it doesnt spark with a spark plug and wire hooked up to it but if i take a metal ratchet and touch the coil terminal and something metal (alternator bracket) i can feel and see a little spark but not with a wire and plug hooked up to it.

im thinking its a weak coil since if it was the crank sensor there would be no spark at all right?
Unread 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
94GC52

i took out my multimeter and i was getting about 10v pulsing to the coil. for primary resistance the coil reads .6 ohms and secondary resistance its 9.7k ohms so im pretty sure its a bad coil.
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
gmp211
2002 WJ 

Ok lets think logically here. The only point from the coil to the plug is the wire. First, make sure the plugs are good. Then if they are, its the wires.

A 6 yr old could have figured that out.
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
zjay

Sounds like a weak coil that can't fire through the resistance of the wire. You said you could feel a spark, well a good coil should really give your hand a quite severe jolt! Coil is such a common problem, it's no waste of money to get a new one, just for reliability if it's age is unknown. Otherwise I'd say coil wire is bad unless you tried other plug wires on the coil also.
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.