Spare tire size - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spare tire size

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

With open diffs, weather it's on the front or the rear, in 2 wheel drive, it shouldn't matter. Up front, it'll just work. It'll probably throw off the steering a little though. Out back, it'll become the drive wheel. It has to spin slightly faster to keep up with the non spare tire. This can throw off the speedometer. Even in full time with a 242, short distances shouldn't matter. I can see long term effects like stretching the chain if you drive it like that for an extended period of time. You would want to keep the transfer case unlocked though. You could damage it in part time with a smaller wheel up front or out back.

ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post
you people with factory full size spares disgust me... i had to go find a rim to get my full size spare
From the build sheet:
TBBP Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRDP P225/70R16 All Season Tires
TZAS Goodyear Brand Tires
WDNP 16X7.0 Aluminum Wheels
WKBP Matching Spare Wheel
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels

lol.
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Adam86
1998 ZJ 

Well l made the mistake of running my spare tyre on the left front for maybe 250 miles with the 249 tranny. Can't remember the sizes but the spare was about an inch smaller in diameter. I replaced the tyre but it was too late.

But what actually happened is l killed my front diff and propshaft not the tranny. The diff became noisy and clunky when turning and the prop failed causing the Jeep to violently shake. Couldnt drive above 15mph. Replaced both and it was back to normal.
Adam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Okay, let's review....

If you have the 249, all the tires must be the same size. If not, you'll ruin the transfercase.

If you have the 242, you'll still want the tires to be the same size yet, a slightly smaller or larger tire will work for a short period of time.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #20
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
Okay, let's review....

If you have the 249, all the tires must be the same size. If not, you'll ruin the transfercase.

If you have the 242, you'll still want the tires to be the same size yet, a slightly smaller or larger tire will work for a short period of time.

Hunter
this post should be added to the FAQs

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.