Spare tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spare tire

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-11-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
ILoveto4x4inNC

Spare tire

I've been told by the dealer and the tire shop that I should replace all the tires at the same time since I have the QuadraTrac. I'm running slightly bigger than stock tires except for the spare which is still the factory 225 75 15. Should I replace the spare on the next tire change? If I do have to use the factory spare between now and the time that I replace the tires (probably in the next couple of months) will it hurt anything? From what I've been told I could screw up the transfer case by running mismatched tires. Is this true? Thanks for the input.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2003, 04:08 PM   #2
Camster

it shouldn't cause any problems. the differential is designed to allow the wheels to spin at different rate, as will happen when running different sized tires. the drive shaft will be spinning like it normaly does and not mess up the transfer case.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Camster

if ya drive on the spare for a short distance it will not hurt a thing. for long distance it isn't such a good idea. if ya got to use it the first stop should be a tire space to fix the tire.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Ditto Camster, Dont cruise on the spare just put it on and drive to
a tire shop. Thats what spares are for. Unlike people who you see
with a donut spare with the tread worn off going 80 down the interstate..
Unread 03-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

If you want to do a much better thing, buy a cheapo beater in the same size of your good four tires.

You don't want to run the risk of messing up the tranny and or axles with mismatched tires.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2003, 04:21 AM   #6
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How messed up

Umm if you guys think about it and pay attention the full size spare tire is a 245/75R/15 Kewords there 245 and 15" first of all the limiteds come with 16" rims and they generally come with 225 tires so dont use the spare IT WILL OVERHEAT THE AXLE
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2003, 06:29 AM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I can't believe you brought this back from the dead.

It is the worst kind of idea to run a mismatched spare on any type of vehicle unless you just HAVE to to get out of something safely. It is way too easy to pick up a same size spare even a bald one to take you from A to B to get the other tire fixed. It always makes me laugh to see guys with 33s or bigger tires and the little donut on back. Like that would get you anywhere!

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy
Ditto Camster, Dont cruise on the spare just put it on and drive to
a tire shop. Thats what spares are for. Unlike people who you see
with a donut spare with the tread worn off going 80 down the interstate..
i think that's only here in New Orleans ....but yeah, they're here in abundance...best is when you see a car broken down on 610 with the donut on and it's the one that blew.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2003, 04:25 PM   #9
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Kip.. Where are you around the CIty?
Why havent you been to any of our Meet and Greets?

Sup?

I like to see them broken down with no tire at all...
I always wonder how in the hell the whole tire came off..
Are they complete idiots?? Cant you feel your tire falling off???
Unread 12-28-2003, 05:07 PM   #10
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy
Kip.. Where are you around the CIty?
Why havent you been to any of our Meet and Greets?

Sup?
I'm over in Lakeview...on Robert E. Lee. haven't really gotten into this Jeep as I have into my others. 1. It's 2wd and damn heavy and underpowered...i'm kinda scared to take it into the spillway. 2. 1 pretty much explains it. To be honest, I've never seen any other GC's in the area that haven't had a soccer mom behind the wheel. Finally spotted one today back behind the robert's and stuff over there on rbt e lee and west end...white ZJ with ARB front end...didn't really stop. let me know when the next gtg is, i'll make it out.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2003, 12:58 AM   #11
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepZJlover
Umm if you guys think about it and pay attention the full size spare tire is a 245/75R/15 Kewords there 245 and 15" first of all the limiteds come with 16" rims and they generally come with 225 tires so dont use the spare IT WILL OVERHEAT THE AXLE

Um, I have a 94 GC Limited and it has 15"s all around. They are the gold ones that match the trim. It also comes with the same rim as a full size spare.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2003, 05:00 AM   #12
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Um, I have a 94 GC Limited and it has 15"s all around. They are the gold ones that match the trim. It also comes with the same rim as a full size spare.
Mine has 16" wheels all around. However, the spare is a 245/70R15 on a black 5 spoke steel (I think) wheel (similar to the 95 Cherokee wheels). This is a PITA because my cargo cover doesn't fit around the spare. The build sheet calls for a compact spare, but I have no idea what size that is or what it looks like. My current spare was made in 97 is a 60,000 mile tire that has never been driven on (still has paper sticker on tread area). The wheel is as new also. Since I use the spare as intended (to get to a repair facility) and want to maximize cargo space, and use my (perfectly good) tire cover, I am considering trading the one I have for what should go there. Anybody have any information (and pics) that would help me identify the correct part?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.