"Sorta" New guy saying hi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Sorta" New guy saying hi

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Chronic442
1998 ZJ 

"Sorta" New guy saying hi

Hello everybody,

I joined this forum... well, a long time ago. I don't think I have ever posted anything. I've had two ZJs in my lifetime, the current one is a 98 Larado with the trusty 4.0. Until recently, I was thinking of selling it. I figured it is only worth about $1000 in the condition it is in now, so why not fix it up!

Main issues are rocker rust, front end damage (thanks mom), and neglected maintenance (shocks, fluids, ball joints, etc).

I'm a life long car guy. My other cars that suck up all my fun money are a 2000 Camaro SS - Kooks SS headers, 224 cam, ported and milled 243 heads, LS6 intake.
And, my 2009 Pontiac G8 - LS3 swap, ported and milled 821 heads, custom ground cam, FAST intake, Kooks 1 3/4" headers to a custom built 3" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, and a GXP 3.27 rear diff
All work done by me

I hope to learn some new things, and hopefully contribute a bit. For the moment, I have an injured hand and its too darn cold to work outside. So I'll probably start collecting parts, and checking out build threads.

Edit: Pic of other toys

photo.jpg  

Last edited by Chronic442; 03-09-2014 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: add pics
Chronic442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Welcome. Sounds like you have some cool toys.
What are some of your plans for the ZJ?
Pics?
bigchieftaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Chronic442
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchieftaco View Post
Welcome. Sounds like you have some cool toys.
What are some of your plans for the ZJ?
Pics?
Thanks!

Besides the basics, I would like to do a rocker replacement. While, a stock replacement would be the obvious, I have been admiring some of the work done with metal sliders replacing the rockers. Other mods I have in mind include replacing the entire A/C system which hasn't worked in about 6 years. I'll probably do a write up when I do that one. The Jeep is my DD, but more fun mods would be a small lift (2" or less), updated aftermaket steel bumpers, and a rear posi.

While it is tempting to imagine the stroker/LA/LSX swap, experience has shown me that stock parts have trouble dealing with stock power sometimes. I'm trying to maintain a budget. That being said, if I can find some cheap and easy ways to gain a little horsepower, that wouldn't be off the table.
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic442 View Post
Thanks!

Besides the basics, I would like to do a rocker replacement. While, a stock replacement would be the obvious, I have been admiring some of the work done with metal sliders replacing the rockers. Other mods I have in mind include replacing the entire A/C system which hasn't worked in about 6 years. I'll probably do a write up when I do that one. The Jeep is my DD, but more fun mods would be a small lift (2" or less), updated aftermaket steel bumpers, and a rear posi.

While it is tempting to imagine the stroker/LA/LSX swap, experience has shown me that stock parts have trouble dealing with stock power sometimes. I'm trying to maintain a budget. That being said, if I can find some cheap and easy ways to gain a little horsepower, that wouldn't be off the table.
The rockers are pretty easy. My dad and I replaced one of mine. $35 for a OEM style off ebay.
I'm sitting on a 2.25" BB and 31" tires. I LOVE it. I am trying to piece a 3.5" lift together but it's taking some time.
Cheap HP.... You could do a 99+ intake manifold swap. That's on my bucket list. Some gained 5-25 HP depending on other mods. You could also pair that with some Dodge Neon 703 injectors.
Here is my little "build thread"
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Chronic442
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
The rockers are pretty easy. My dad and I replaced one of mine. $35 for a OEM style off ebay.
I'm sitting on a 2.25" BB and 31" tires. I LOVE it. I am trying to piece a 3.5" lift together but it's taking some time.
Cheap HP.... You could do a 99+ intake manifold swap. That's on my bucket list. Some gained 5-25 HP depending on other mods. You could also pair that with some Dodge Neon 703 injectors.
Dumb question, but did your replacement rocker panels include the inner parts, or did you have to fab those? Did you cut them off where the rot ends and overlap? I'm not a body guy, so anything requiring cutting, welding and painting seems daunting to me.
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic442 View Post
Dumb question, but did your replacement rocker panels include the inner parts, or did you have to fab those? Did you cut them off where the rot ends and overlap? I'm not a body guy, so anything requiring cutting, welding and painting seems daunting to me.
That's a good question actually. They do not come with the inner parts. It's just the outer curved part. My rust was so bad, we had to rebuild the inner "pinch seam" with some flat iron. It wasn't perfect when we were done but lucky for me, I have a Laredo and it comes with rocker covers
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Chronic442
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Just picked up a 04 manifold, injectors, rail, and TB for $75 bucks. Thanks for the heads up!!

I'll post some pics soon. My Jeep is kind of a basket case. I'm going to start a build thread when I start collecting more parts and putting them on.
Unread 04-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Chronic442
1998 ZJ 

I'm in the midst of a Jeep make over. Recently replaced the stock shocks (165k miles worth) and this thing rides like new. Also upgraded to a dynomax exhaust. Got the dynomax with he mandrel bent pipe for $100. That's a great deal considering a generic pipe and muffler cost about 60-70. Sounds throaty outside the car, but really quiet inside.

Will probably start a build thread in the near future. Planning on reworking the entire A/C system. Think it would be a pretty good write up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.