Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Someone take a read and see if its just me....

1K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  StellaTheZJ 
#1 ·
So on a facebook page i am on i see someone selling a ZJ with 3in and 33s. so me being intrigued i ask what kind of lift is on it. and they say th...... here is the comments....

Dave Hutchison Details on lift.

Tamera Daniels 3" on 33's

Dave Hutchison What kind of lift? Control arms? Shocks? Trak bars? Sway bar links?

Tamera Daniels Oh haha I'm sry lol i got mommy brain its lift blocks an spacers and it has rough country shocks

Dave Hutchison lift blocks where?

Tamera Daniels On top of the springs

Dave Hutchison ok so all you have is 3in spacers ontop of stock springs? there are no blocks haha, do you have anything else done like control arms, trak bars or brackets? or is all that stock?

Tamera Daniels Yes an yes thats it with ruff country shocks i bought it with it dun already

Dave Hutchison ooooooomg, no disrespect but that thing is a death trap. I am really sorry to beat it down but running 33s on stock control arms and trak bar with 3 in spacers it will only be a matter of time before you get death wobble and with 33s if you have never experienced it before then it will rip the wheel out of your hands. i would highly HIGHLY recommend pull those spacers out and pull the 33s off and put stock tires on. I am really not trying to be mean or anything this is merely a safety disclaimer. i have had jeeps go into a death wobble while i was towing a car and i have learnt the hard way. please be careful

Tamera Daniels We have this kinda lift on our other trucks an have never had a problem only time we have a issue is when we change the control arms an trak bar then it death wobbles, I use this Jeep daily an take up to 80mph and have never had a problem not even on the dodge cummin, thank u for ur concern tho

Dave Hutchison ok well ive owned 7 zjs. and other trucks are not the same setup that jeeps have. but hey if you want to take the chance with then i hope nothing bad ever happens. i would say if you add a trak bar and control arms then they arent set properly then. but your choice. good luck and i hope nothing bad happens to you or the new owner

Tamera Daniels Im sure if the new owner didnt want that kinda lift they could easily change it i dont have the money and if it aint broke i dont fix it

Kevin Wiley Dave Dave Hutchison you obviously dont know a damn about the jeeps you own. When you change the control arms you alter the alignment and that causes front end issues. The safest lift for any vehicle is just adding blocks or spacers. <<< her BF

Dave Hutchison ........ LMFAO! go search JeepForum.com or CherokeeForum.com and take a read buddy. if you would like to continue this conversation then please PM me but i will not have this unintellectual conversation on an open forum

Kevin Wiley Those forums are peoples opinions. Go talk to a mechanic.

Please can someone chime in... am I going insane and know absolutely nothing about jeeps? if that is the case I am giving away my zjs..... I thought it was funny.... if spacers are the best way to go then why doesnt JKS or IRO or anyone else sell 8in spacers???

See less See more
#2 ·
Holy cow, don't buy it. Next?

Hunter

#4 ·
i would have bought it cause they only want 1000 for it but yea...... lmfao i just wanted to make sure that everything i have learnt about geometry and the jeep and how things work wasnt wrong..... but i mean he knows it all...

#9 ·
hahahaha, but forum pages are just people's opinion, and I should go talk to a mechanic..... I mean i only have been wrenching for 10 years about 2 yrs worth of schooling and a couple ASE certs but yea obviously none of us on here know a damn thing about our ZJs...... LMFAO!:rofl:

#13 ·
Let me guess, he's the tool that drives an f-250 which is stock other than his 5" lift blocks front and rear?

#17 ·
Well folks, I have to admit that I have only worked on 3 ZJs and 4 XJs lifted with spacers so far... but... yeah, spacers don't cause death wobble. Worn suspension components do, lifted or not.

So far, after about 300,000kms over almost 15 years in my own two Jeeps (as well as my more limited experience with the others I referenced), I'd have to say that I'm using experience here (not opinion) to also declare that 3" spacers will not kill you, even on stock LCAs.

I'm not sure where the terror comes from that originally fed this opinion, but I wonder how many people who believe 3" spacers will cause your Jeep to spontaneously explode have every actually tried them??

A ZJ on 3" spacers will drive just fine, like the owner says, as long as the track bar and steering components are not shot. If the track bar or steering components are shot, then ANY Jeep with a solid front axle (even a stock one) can develop death wobble.

Here's my old XJ with 3" spacers that did not kill me over 230,000kms:

Here's my friend's XJ with 3" spacers that has only got 100,000kms so far on the lift, with no death wobble or... death...

Here's my ZJ with 3" spacers from the old XJ, and after 5 years and 150,000kms, I'm still alive with no death wobble:

So folks, I'm not really arguing here, just providing long-term testing results, on numerous vehicles, proving that 3" spacers on stock LCAs wil not cause death wobble, death, incontinence, sickle cell anemia, or whatever voodoo people on this forum currently claim!!

Cheers, and enjoy your Jeeping!

:cheers2:

#18 ·
Yes it will. It'll cause brain eating zombies to leave you alone.

Nice lawyer tires. Could you have found some slicker street tires?

Hunter

#22 ·
Those things are as slick as the Man is round and fat.

Hunter

#25 ·
I used to run ATs, but I also used to wheel with three IFS Toyotas. I got sick of waiting for them on the other side of all the obstacles, so rather than finding new friends, I went with highway tires the next time I bought tires. Aired down they work pretty well for most of the rocks and junk on the trails I've been running since then, but you better believe I hide from mud!

Which of course has nothing to do with this thread... ;)

(Lawyer tires... haven't heard that before, but I like it!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.