JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Some transmission problems and then some (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/some-transmission-problems-then-some-74328/)

BOOM 03-18-2004 04:03 PM

Some Transmission Problems and then some

Hey guys i'm new here. I have an automatic 94' GCL I6 4.0 Currently I have about 175K on the odometer. These are the problems i've been experiencing lately:

1) Overdrive - Sometimes it kicks in when i get to about 90. Thats great for acceleration, but i can't always be driving that fast to make myself feel happy and thus cause more damage to my tranny and it rumbles a little bit with a slight case of shaking.

2) Slippage - Before that problem i was having some slippage. When i would go to accelerate, the gas would go for about a half second then the gear would engage and do a slight jerk forward. Sometimes it does it with other gears too. Most likely i was thinking the mounts might be loose and or i might just have to rebuild the sucker. In that case do you guys know all what parts i'll need to rebuild it. I wanna buy the parts through mopar and have someone else do the work. The transmission is a 42RE.

3) Idle - Most of the time lately when i pull up to a stop, the idle will just keep going lower until it dies. Somebody told me something about the tps and or sensors. I'm not sure what they are, where they are , or how to adjust them. How do i fix?

I like to go off roadin with my Jeep. Also how much do you think it would run to convert my 2wd to a 4wd ? ? ? Please Help ! ! ! If you could, send pics otherwise i'll be more lost than i already am.

BOOM

BOOM 03-19-2004 11:34 PM

can anyone help me with this ? ? ?

Meerkat 03-20-2004 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOM
can anyone help me with this ? ? ?

I afraid I can only try to address part of this. It sounds like your clutch packs are slipping, then when they warm up they are grabbing. Have you recently added or changed the fluid? Chrysler transmissions are very sensative to the type of fluid they use. Putting Dexron III in a transmission that requires Mopar ATF Plus, for example, is a sure path to disaster. Otherwise, I can only feel your bands are way out of adjustment, and the clutch packs are deteriorating. You can adjust the bands yourself, but it requires new fluid and pan gasket, along with a torque wrench that reads inch pounds (or metric equivelant).
HTH

Texas ZJ1 03-20-2004 09:34 AM

Boom,

I started having some tranny issues about two years ago and it started frustrating me. I broke down and took it to a tranny shop that does the free inspection and they found a broken shift cable. Super easy fix and cheap too.

Hunter

mike57 03-20-2004 01:46 PM

Sounds like you need a rebuilt trans or overhaul. Rebuilding a trans is really not in the realm of the average do-it-yourselfer. I work as a machinist and we have very sophistaceted equipment to get things within plus or minus a few tenths of a thousandht of an inch. Just buying a bunch of parts and thinking your buddy is capable of doing the job right ( unless he is a trained professional) is like pissing in the wind.

Texas ZJ1 03-20-2004 04:04 PM

Mike,

you could post that reply a thousand times and people still wont listen.

Hunter

BOOM 03-22-2004 03:06 PM

I appreciate the help guys :D I'm going to go ahead and try to adjust the clutch packs and change out the fluid and filter as well. And if that doesn't work and if I don't start to see an easy out, I guess I'll just have to rebuild. Does anyone know all of the parts needed to do a jobby like this, if it does come to that? The tranny is a 42re ( And I won't just take em to some backyard mechanic ) Thanks again guys for all of the help.

BOOM

RockPaws 03-23-2004 07:27 PM

Sounds like a transmission rebuild, but I always start with the easy stuff. Have the transmission serviced, change the filter and fluid. Possibly adjust the bands. Check the fluid level in Neutral, not drive (or as stated in the owners manual, or your FSM). The Jeep transmissions have a week spot in the overdrive unit. If you do have it rebuilt, have them install extra clutch discs if possible in the overdrive clutch packs. Have the main shaft cross drilled to lubricate the overdrive unit more effectivly. Also install a Transgo shift kit, they work great!

I would recomend checking with a number of shops and interview them. Find out what they can do for you, and do they now Jeep transmissions.
If you are in Utah, I can recomend a local shop I use for my customers transmissions.

If you plan to do it your self, you will need a number of special tools to set it up properly. Have you ever done one before?

Frank

BOOM 03-24-2004 05:15 PM

Frank,

I'm in Southern California. Can you recommend any shops out here? And no, I've never attempted anything like that before and I would not until I at least get some formal training of some sort. I am gonna do the easy stuff though this weekend ( fluid, filter and band adjustments ) and check stuff off the list, even though I've already got it set in my head that I'm gonna have to rebuild. It would just be better overall for the long roads ahead. :D

Thanks

BOOM

RockPaws 03-24-2004 10:18 PM

Boom.. I have been trying to get a hold of friend of mine in CA. He had his Grand transmission rebuilt. A place in Hacienda Heights did the work.. I will post again when he calls back.

BOOM 03-24-2004 11:10 PM

OK thanks. Hacienda Heights isn't too far from here.

BOOM

Brian's 97 ZJ 03-25-2004 07:33 AM

The suggestion of having your TPS checked out is a sound idea as well. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor/Switch) is located on the throttle body (somewhere) and is a fairly inexpensive part to replace.

I have had a failing TPS that produced results exactly as those you described.

Good luck!

- Brian

LAJeepGC 03-26-2004 12:18 PM

Transmission Problems

OK, don't hold me to this, I found out about this yesterday. My 01 is also having transmission problems. It slips only from take off. The motor makes alot of noise then it grabs, jerks and off I go. It is intermittant so I can never really figure it out. It will do it for a week then quit for a month. I have changed the filter, and fluid, and even taken it in. I have taken it to the steelership a couple of times and never seam to get anyway with it. I talked to a guy here in Baton Rouge yesterday about the whole thing who had "the same problem". According to him his got some milage on his "mine has 75 thousand" and the motor mounts became worn causing the motor to shift excessivly and thus resulting in the problem when off the line. I dont' know if this is bunk or not, but still a thought. I am going to try putting in some energy suspension mounts this weekend. I figure it cant hurt. I'll post and let you all know. If anybody else has hurt this or knows this is bunk let me know ASAP so I don't waste my time.

Orr233 03-27-2004 09:11 PM

[You have the exact same model I have. The only difference is that my overdrive went out completely. I took it in to Aamco. They explained to me that the mid 90's Chrysler transmissions had a thrust bearing in the overdrive that could seize up around 150K miles. Mine not only seized, it got so hot it rupsured tearing apart my overdrive. Do you yourself a favor. Get it taken care of before it happens to you. It cost about an extra 800.00 because I waited.

RockPaws 03-29-2004 10:21 AM

Boom, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. My friend believe it of not can't remember or can't find the name of the shop that did the work on his transmission. ( and this was 3 moths ago!!??). Sorry I spoke too soon.

Most transmission shops should also have a code reader, and be able to check if its a TPS or another problem.

Frank

The time now is 11:12 PM.