JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Some of these threads are freaking me out (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/some-these-threads-freaking-me-out-278309/)

AZ2004WJ 05-31-2006 04:21 PM

Some of these threads are freaking me out

You know, I'm starting to have second (or third) thoughts about lifting my GC, due to some of the stories I'm reading about Death Wobble, worn out front ends, and endless trips to the alignment/tire shop.

I've got a 2004 WJ with 30K miles, all stock, running great, no wobbles, no problems. It has the stock wimpy 235/65/17 Goodyear SRAs on it, probably needing replacement in another 10k at the most (at least a year of driving so no real rush). My plan was to go for a 1.5" - 2" lift and maybe some 30 inch all terrain tires - nothing radical. Good shocks were part of the plan too.

But am I just asking for problems the moment I start? This car will still have to be my daily driver (some of you know about the planned car shuffle with pregnant wife), which includes highway driving, etc.

I don't know - unless I hear some "good" stories about mild lifts, I may just have to squeeze 245/65/17s under there and call it a day for now.

Anyone have good experience with OME 2" springs? Or bad experience?

Anyone want to buy 4 mostly worn Goodyears and one brand new one (the spare)?

Thanks.:confused:

rrubio 05-31-2006 04:29 PM

You will be just fine with a BB.Just let me know when you get the BB and ill stop by to help you out.

GreenDean 05-31-2006 04:30 PM

Modifying any vehicle in anyway is always a self written invitation to a headach party. (that was lame).

If the wifey is going to be using the vehicle to carry your child (in and out of her belly) i suggest leaving it stock. You can find ZJ's for around 1500 now a days. pick one up and make it a project vehicle.

ksgrands 05-31-2006 04:34 PM

You're worrying to much. I've been fine for a couple of years. I'm having problems at the moment, but am 99% sure it's the stabilizer. If it's not, I'll find the problem. I think alot of people start out with worn parts to begin with, and don't take the time to fix/find them. Having said that, I hear some Grands just don't do well with a lift, but I've not experienced this. 2 inches is not a big deal.

ben_wagner 05-31-2006 04:49 PM

At 2 inches you should be fine. You only ever hear about the things going wrong with people's rigs, but something like a BB won't be too much trouble. Unless you have one of 'those' rigs.

ArloGuthroJeep 05-31-2006 05:02 PM

Lift it...@ 2" nothing bad will happen 99% of the time.

utah99'wj 05-31-2006 05:14 PM

60% of the time it works all the time :rofl:

But seriously though you will be fine with just 2". Mine had a small case of the DW but I replaced the crappy stock steering stabilizer and it rides perfect now. You should get the 2" OME springs though instead of spacers

grandman97 05-31-2006 05:19 PM

ever since i put my 2'' BB on, a large popping noise has occured everytime i turn the wheel alot..... and i have some other problems... if u lift a jeep u are asking for trouble... i am a glutton for punishment, i have 2 jeeps :(

ben_wagner 05-31-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandman97
ever since i put my 2'' BB on, a large popping noise has occured everytime i turn the wheel alot..... and i have some other problems... if u lift a jeep u are asking for trouble... i am a glutton for punishment, i have 2 jeeps :(

Tried torquing up the tie-rod? Fixed mine.

Texas ZJ1 05-31-2006 07:18 PM

6.5 and no problems.

Hunter

BlaineWasHere 05-31-2006 07:22 PM

4.5" and never had DW...

grandman97 05-31-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben_wagner
Tried torquing up the tie-rod? Fixed mine.

what exactly do u mean torquing the tierod??

BlaineWasHere 05-31-2006 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
4.5" and never had DW...

Knock on wood...

Arkansas_WJ 05-31-2006 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
Knock on wood...

good thing you said that or tomarrow mornin it would have struck..garantree.

Yeah man your fine w/ BB.....The only people who get DW or vibes is when they dont get allignment after. Also think of all the knowlage you have on here.

slick2570 05-31-2006 11:49 PM

CV joints

If you've read things about my broken CV joints or anything, dont worry about it.. My jeep has approx. 92K Miles on it now and i see that as pretty much normal wear and tear.. I'm getting some new shocks, new CV joints and eventually those 2" OME springs! :drool: If i get everything done before you decide to lift your jeep, i'll most likely do a write up about the combination and its performance on and OFF road! Now dont think, just do... LIFT IT!!! :thumbsup:

-Eric

The time now is 07:53 PM.