Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Some Quick ZJ questions pertaining to trail spares

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bort62 
#1 ·
Real quick, thanks in advance! Don't want to carry more stuff than needed.

Are driver and pass side rear axle (D35) shafts the same length? IE only need one for spare? Pumpkin looks centered but haven't had the shafts out to measure.

U joint D30 front - both U joints the same? I assume they are.

Front U joint DS (NP242) different from rear DS U joints? Or Same? To have replacements for all U joints how many separate part #'s ?

If I lose a front U joint or ear, can I limp w/ only the outer axle shaft in place? (Seems like hub w/ outer axle stub in place would retain wheel - loss of gear oil I can deal with)

NP242 okay to limp in 4WD w/ rear DS disconnected ? (broken rear DS - front wheel drive?)

Any other easy/important suggestions? I'm hoping to carry one spare D35 shaft and the minimum # of U joints.

I've got stock 4.0l running gear (limited slip in rear, 3.73 D30/35) on 32" MT's. I've got a light right foot and am extremely gentle but will try most obstacles. I just don't try to compensate for a lack of traction/clearance w/ momentum and funpedal. Should I be too worried about breaking drive train components?

I haven't had any problems so far...

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Real quick, thanks in advance! Don't want to carry more stuff than needed.

Are driver and pass side rear axle (D35) shafts the same length? IE only need one for spare? Pumpkin looks centered but haven't had the shafts out to measure.Not sure

U joint D30 front - both U joints the same? I assume they are.Yes,side to side are the same, but they do make two different size Y-joints. for the front axle. I have only needed the bigger of the two.

Front U joint DS (NP242) different from rear DS U joints? Or Same? To have replacements for all U joints how many separate part #'s ? I would count on them being different, MIne are but I have the 5.9 with a big rear D.S,

If I lose a front U joint or ear, can I limp w/ only the outer axle shaft in place? (Seems like hub w/ outer axle stub in place would retain wheel - loss of gear oil I can deal with) correct, the front wheel will stay on , but the rear is a d35 c-clip and the wheel with remaining axle will slide out of tube.

NP242 okay to limp in 4WD w/ rear DS disconnected ? (broken rear DS - front wheel drive?) yes

Any other easy/important suggestions? I'm hoping to carry one spare D35 shaft and the minimum # of U joints.

I've got stock 4.0l running gear (limited slip in rear, 3.73 D30/35) on 32" MT's. I've got a light right foot and am extremely gentle but will try most obstacles. I just don't try to compensate for a lack of traction/clearance w/ momentum and funpedal. Should I be too worried about breaking drive train components? You have a L.S with 32 so you should be fine. I never broke a locked d35 with 31 mud terrain's and heavy foot

I haven't had any problems so far...

Thanks!

#4 ·
Thanks for the input fellas. Good to know about the front axle shafts being able to retain the wheel. Looking at the design, that seemed to be the case but I wasn't sure.

I am aware that the rear is C-clipped and everything that goes a long w/ that :)

You can limp on a broken C clip axle... you just need to stop every 10 feet to push it back in! :)

#5 ·
Also, could someone tell me the size / type of fastener retaining the C-clip retention pin in the rear carrier?

If I'm gonna be swapping rear shafts on the trail I'll need to be able to take this out and I don't want to pop the cover off my diff just to figure out what it is. In my experience sometimes they can be strange fasters like 12 point or reverse torx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.