Some questions for you ZJ guys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Some questions for you ZJ guys

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Tatersaladx
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Some questions for you ZJ guys

My buddys got a zj, and is look to lift it so we were thinking of putting my old xj 3" coils and HP axle if its the same gears. and the front to back coil swap. To fit 31s. Now the reason for the HP D30 is that his lp D30 completely shat the bed it makes clunking sounds from the diff and he lost 4wd(Quadratrac) but somehow has park. But i was wondering what possible geats a 98 4.0 ZJ with Quadratrac would have. and how to tell.

Tatersaladx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Get a build sheet from Chrysler by using the VIN. If the ZJ has a factory tow package (it will have a hitch with wiring and a tranny cooler) then it likely has the 3.73's. The only other ratio available was 3.55, similar to most XJ's. It still has park because park does not rely on the front axle in later quadratrac ZJ's.
Unread 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Tatersaladx
1989 XJ Cherokee 

well when its jacked up and in park the right front wheel doesnt turn so it is in the front axle. Next time i look at it ill look for the tranny cooler cause it does have a receiver and hitch.
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

98 4.0L should have 3.55 and dana 30 front and dana 35 rear. Crawl underneath there and look at the diffs. If the rear diff is rubber plug its a 44a and it has 3.73s. If its a metal plug like the front then 35 it will have 3.55s.

Like he said the later model 249s could park without front driveshaft/axle working properly. Open the diff and see whats going on in there. Also might be a bad CV or u-Joint in the front.

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Tatersaladx
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well i think my XJ axle is 3.55 incase it is the diff might as well upgrade to HP, im gonna jack it up and see if its 3 1/2 turns. So should he remove the front driveshaft im not rly knowledgable in the 249. I do kno tht hes gonna eventually swap that with a 232 when he replaces his tranny. Also what rtv and gear oil should i buy when i rip the diff cover off
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Putting the XJ coils up front will net less than 3" of lift while the front ZJ springs in the back will get about 3.5
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeeeenberg View Post
98 4.0L should have 3.55 and dana 30 front and dana 35 rear. Crawl underneath there and look at the diffs. If the rear diff is rubber plug its a 44a and it has 3.73s. If its a metal plug like the front then 35 it will have 3.55s.

Like he said the later model 249s could park without front driveshaft/axle working properly. Open the diff and see whats going on in there. Also might be a bad CV or u-Joint in the front.
Not meaning to hijack a thread here, but I have a question about this. My build sheet says I have the 35C, and I've never questioned that. But I tried to rub off the grease and dirt a short while back to see if I could find anything written on it, and all I found was DANA etched in the metal, and then a rubber plug with DANA on it as well. It's a rubber plug, and by what you're saying the rubber plugs were only in the 44's? I really can't imagine I lucked out, and the build sheet is just wrong so that I have a 44 with my I6 and 3.73 gearing. It's a bit difficult for some of us to identify our axles is all. I'm not the most mechanically inclined. LOL

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeeeenberg View Post

the 35 also has a rubber plug in ZJ's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Not meaning to hijack a thread here, but I have a question about this. My build sheet says I have the 35C, and I've never questioned that. But I tried to rub off the grease and dirt a short while back to see if I could find anything written on it, and all I found was DANA etched in the metal, and then a rubber plug with DANA on it as well. It's a rubber plug, and by what you're saying the rubber plugs were only in the 44's? I really can't imagine I lucked out, and the build sheet is just wrong so that I have a 44 with my I6 and 3.73 gearing. It's a bit difficult for some of us to identify our axles is all. I'm not the most mechanically inclined. LOL
Check the tags on your diffs to figure out what gearing you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
Check the tags on your diffs to figure out what gearing you have.
x2.

4.0 w/ Dana 30/35 with 3.73 gears. So check your tags!
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

The build sheet says 3.73 gearing with the tow-prep package. I have the auxiliary cooling but not the prep-wiring harness for the trailer hookup in the back. Strange, eh? I will have to look more closely at the axle when there's daylight once more. The build sheet says 35c, and that's likely what it is. It's just that Green said that about the rubber plug, and I remembered seeing it on the diff cover.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
The build sheet says 3.73 gearing with the tow-prep package. I have the auxiliary cooling but not the prep-wiring harness for the trailer hookup in the back. Strange, eh? I will have to look more closely at the axle when there's daylight once more. The build sheet says 35c, and that's likely what it is. It's just that Green said that about the rubber plug, and I remembered seeing it on the diff cover.
you have the dana 35c. the "C" means custom, meaning it was assembled elseware. cant remember where.
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
you have the dana 35c. the "C" means custom, meaning it was assembled elseware. cant remember where.

Yes , some people think the c stands for c-clip .They are custom because they are shipped incomplete from the Dana factory to Chysler and Chrysler completes the build.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.