some questions on antifreeze (wj 4.7) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > some questions on antifreeze (wj 4.7)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
kmd1776
2004 WJ 

some questions on antifreeze (wj 4.7)

so i was going over my jeep the other day (04 wj 4.7) and i saw that the anti freeze overflow tank was orange.... i never saw orange anti freeze before besides that new dexcool stuff for newer gm cars.

so to make sure the 4.7 didnt use dexcool or any special... i read the FSM and saw that im suppose to use ethylene-glycol or propylene-glycol (ethylene-glycol preferred) so i looked on the back of the normal blue bottle of peak antifreeze which ive always used and is that bright green color... and thats ethylene-glycol.

so is there just other brands out there that make an orange ethylene-glycol antifreeze?? or do i have the wrong stuff in mine?

the highest my jeep ever got so far was just a lil over 210 and that was in sitting traffic in 90 degree weather with the ac blasting... so i figured that was normal. but let me know what you guys think!

04 wj limited; 4.7L V8, 247> 242hd swap; Hayden auxillary tranny cooler; BFG All Terrain 245/70/17; Moog Up-Country Coil Springs; Monroe Reflex Monotube Shocks; JKS BPE's; Chrome Overland tow hooks; Dynomax Ultraflow catback
kmd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
kmd1776
2004 WJ 

bump

anyone?
04 wj limited; 4.7L V8, 247> 242hd swap; Hayden auxillary tranny cooler; BFG All Terrain 245/70/17; Moog Up-Country Coil Springs; Monroe Reflex Monotube Shocks; JKS BPE's; Chrome Overland tow hooks; Dynomax Ultraflow catback
kmd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

There is a mopar extended life coolant that jeep used in the 02 and up WJ if I remember correctly. It has a orange/pinkish color to it. You can used pretty much whatever coolant you want, you just have to change it at the correct intervals. Just dont mix different types together. And flush the system before refilling with whatever you choose.

I had the green stuff on mine, so I flushed the system and added the correct mopar coolant, but thats just because I have friends at the dealer.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Don't use the "all makes all models" type on any chrysler product after the 2001 model year. Your Chrysler engineers approve only the specific coolant that is orangish. You can pick it up at any chrysler dealer for $25 a gallon. If that is too much, I found some at Napa that is correct and approved by Chrysler. It is Zerex G-05. Here are a couple pdfs and a site that everyone should read and get familiar with

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerexg05.pdf
Valvoline.com > Products > Antifreeze Radiator Products > Antifreeze > Zerex G-05® Antifreeze / Coolant

Thanks for your attention and please follow the instructions in your owners manual.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
Don't use the "all makes all models" type on any chrysler product after the 2001 model year. Your Chrysler engineers approve only the specific coolant that is orangish. You can pick it up at any chrysler dealer for $25 a gallon. If that is too much, I found some at Napa that is correct and approved by Chrysler. It is Zerex G-05. Here are a couple pdfs and a site that everyone should read and get familiar with

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerexg05.pdf
Valvoline.com > Products > Antifreeze Radiator Products > Antifreeze > Zerex G-05 Antifreeze / Coolant

Thanks for your attention and please follow the instructions in your owners manual.
Why are you not suposed to use the green ethyl glycol (sp) after 2001?

I run the green prestone ethyl glcol in my jeep and have never had any problems with it. I have a ZJ though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
JerseyWJ
2012 WK 

just dont mix red and green. i ended up flushing out the red and using green. i put in the cheaper peak stuff that was on sale. 2 years later...no problems.
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe View Post
You can used pretty much whatever coolant you want, you just have to change it at the correct intervals. Just dont mix different types together. And flush the system before refilling with whatever you choose.
This is wrong. The newer coolant is HOAT coolant and is good for a 5 year life as opposed to the 2 year life for the other stuff. Prestone Extended Life and GM DexCool should not be used in anything, even a GM engine as it likes to eat gaskets and seals. There are people who say that the Prestone All Makes All Models is just as bad because it might contain the same bad chemical and some that say its ok to use. The best bet is to use the Mopar stuff from the dealer or Zerex-05
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
Why are you not suposed to use the green ethyl glycol (sp) after 2001?

I run the green prestone ethyl glcol in my jeep and have never had any problems with it. I have a ZJ though
The idea is purely composition and compatibility. You'll get correct heat transfer from the "all makes all models" but not as good corrosion inhibitors. Click on the links I provided above, and read. You'll also find similar information in your owners manual and in the FSM.

I believe I was wrong before and should have said after the 2000 model year. Sorry.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
cmonson

after 2000 on ALL WJ's, Jeep used a HOAT mixture of coolant. You can use the green stuff (glycol based) without issues however. Anyone that says you can't use it with success doesn't know what they are talking about. The only negative effect is it will last 2 years in lieu of 5 years that the HOAT will provide.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Honestly, with the exception of Dex-cool and such stated above, it's rare to encounter an engine that cares more than a little about what coolant is in it. The key is to not mix different types and to change it at whatever interval is specified for the type you're using.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I agree. I have never had issues thus I say you can run pretty much what you want. To each his own choice.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Honestly, with the exception of Dex-cool and such stated above, it's rare to encounter an engine that cares more than a little about what coolant is in it. The key is to not mix different types and to change it at whatever interval is specified for the type you're using.
It is also important to make sure it is mixed right (50/50) so the radiator doesn't turn into a slushie when it gets below freezing
Quote:
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Unread 08-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Elmer - The 50/50 part is a given for basically anything.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Elmer - The 50/50 part is a given for basically anything.
yeah, but the idiot that I bought my jeep from didn't know that and I came out and found my radiator leaking and it looked like a slushy one night when it got cold
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.