Some performance questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Some performance questions...

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-14-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
TLP310

Some performance questions...

I'm looking for a few performance upgrades for my Grand Cherokee ('98 4.0L I6). I have been looking around (at posts here, primarily), and have noticed that one of the most suggested/performed upgrades is installing a high-flow intake and a new exhaust manifold.

I'm considering getting a K&N FIPK system and a Banks stainless-steel header. Is this worthwhile? (And, what kind of power improvements do you think I'll see)

I was also thinking about getting a cat-back system, but am not entirely convinced it's worth it. The largest I could find for the I6 is 2.5" which doesn't seem like a big improvement over factory. Any suggestions? Also, I was thinking about a high flow cat, muffler (if I don't get the catback), and perhaps a chip...how does this sound?

Thanx.

----------------------------
Grand Cherokee, '98 - 4.0L

I'd rather be driving a Zamboni...

TLP310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 01:47 PM   #2
Camster

the FIPK system is a good improvment and a simple way to acheive increased performance. If money is a problem you can easily make your own by buying a filter, an adapter of some kind(i have Rusty's Air Tube), and making a heat sheild out of materials you can get at Lowe's.

For exhaust systems you really need to upgrade the whole thing to see any worthwile improvment. if you get just the headers then the air is still going to get "backed up" at the cat and muffler. a hi-flow cat will definitly be worth your time. if you want that nice sound a muffler (like the Flowmaster 50 series) will give it too you even with out the other stuff. but like i said with just changing one component the performance increase will not be very great.

If you decide to go for a chip it will give you solid results but for a price. gas mileage goes way down the tube.

hoped that helped just a little bit.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Check out the tech pages over at www.nagca.com and email Nick Kolak at kolak@aol.com

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.