Some idiot in an Oldsmobile mauled my friends Jeep!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Some idiot in an Oldsmobile mauled my friends Jeep!!!

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-10-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Some idiot in an Oldsmobile mauled my friends Jeep!!!

At 7:50 this morning my friend, Harpreet, was heading straight through an intersection when an Oldsmobile (female driver!) tried to make a turn in front of him, thinking they had enough time to get out of the way.... They didn't...

He has a 1997 ZJ Orvis. Flowmaster 40 series, chrome tip, Mike Leech Headers, K&N intake, Smittybuilt brushguard & taillight covers. A very nice ride. The brushguard was damaged, he hit the Oldsmobile head-on. Minimal damage to his engine bay, but his front fender and bumper are destroyed, along with his passenger headlight assembly... the pictures speak for themselves.

Here are some before and after shots:
Before:

The only before shot I have. Smittybuilt brushguard.

After:

And the idiot lady's Oldsmobile:

Nobody was hurt, thankfully. My friend misses his baby. He is dealing with insurance and getting a rental car right now. Gotta go drive him around to get his rental car. At least my 94 Zj is still operational... I shudder to think what life would be like were we both to be Jeepless... Any condolences may be directed to Harpreet

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
ViPER_SR2001

Sorry for the ZJ... not the brushguard tho! He should've bought a ARB and smash the damn oldsmobil!
ViPER_SR2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
IMOiRock

Wow - It looks like the brush guard did a lot of the damage itself - I think they cause a lot of damage in accidents. They are helpful offroad though.
Black Heep #24/Invisible Heep #2/AGJC Revivor

Last edited by IMOiRock; 06-10-2003 at 04:42 PM..
IMOiRock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Wow,

if they try to total it, have him rebuy it from the insurance company dirt cheap and use it for parts.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #5
ViPER_SR2001

Quote:
Originally posted by IMOiRock
They are helpful offroad though.
How?
Unread 06-10-2003, 04:41 PM   #6
IMOiRock

Quote:
Originally posted by ViPER_SR2001

How?
Actually not all that helpful. Heavy brush and tree limbs has not been a problem for me on any trails.
OK, I admit it - brush guards are useless.

Last edited by IMOiRock; 06-10-2003 at 04:49 PM..
Unread 06-10-2003, 08:40 PM   #7
Storml2age

Quote:
Actually not all that helpful. Heavy brush and tree limbs has not been a problem for me on any trails.
OK, I admit it - brush guards are useless.
That may be true, but they do make the car look alot cooler Also helpful in fending off hords of ricers

B.T.W. man, that really sucks, not to be sexist but there have been a few close calls with my jeep caused by women drivers, passing over double yellows, not looking when pulling out of driveways, intersections, etc.

Last edited by Storml2age; 06-10-2003 at 08:44 PM..
Storml2age is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2003, 08:54 PM   #8
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Despite the damage to his current jeep, my friend wants to know how much the ARB bull bar is for a 1997 ZJ? I couldn't find it on the ARB web site. Anybody know?

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2003, 11:41 PM   #9
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The ARB is a nice piece but even that is not strong enough. You need something like this (from www.carolinarockshop.com)

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2003, 01:09 AM   #10
ViPER_SR2001

I think to remember that they are about $600.

I could never compare the two bumbers... Do you really think the carolinarockshop bumber is stronger?
Unread 06-11-2003, 04:43 AM   #11
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally posted by ViPER_SR2001
I could never compare the two bumbers... Do you really think the carolinarockshop bumber is stronger?
Yes because they custom build it to your specs. A lot of the ARB bumper is made of thin metal (1/8"?). And it is designed to be compatible with airbags. That means it must have some crumple zones in its design, or be able to bend to absorb impact. Don't get me wrong, they are a GREAT looking bumper, but for $650+ I want something that will not bend if it hits a rock. In an accident, if the bumper doesn't bend, the force is transfered to the frame rail and you are still screwed, but that will happen anyways with a bumper that will absorb impact too like the ARB.

I have a BPI Fab bumper (for XJ's) which is made of 3/16" steel and 1/4" mounting brackets. It is virtually indestructable so if I get in any accidents the other vehicle will just have to be my crumple zone!

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2003, 03:21 PM   #12
BritBabe

"Oldsmobile (female driver!)"

"not to be sexist but there have been a few close calls with my jeep caused by women drivers, passing over double yellows, not looking when pulling out of driveways, intersections, etc."

BOTH OF YOU ARE BEING SEXIST. As a female driver, and a damned good one at that, I think you two are wrong for generalizing so much!!! I have NEVER (knock on wood!!) been in an accident and hopefully never will! The only close calls I have ever been in are with the idiots who drive 200 mph because they think they are cool, and they are of both genders. Please don't generalize so much!! This is 2003, not 1903. Men are at fault for just as many, if not more, accidents. How many accidents do you hear about on the news caused by females? NONE! they are all by males!!

It really bothers me when people, especcialy young people, generalize and stereotpye women into certain roles. Please, for the sake of your wives and girlfriends (and your fellow jeep drivers!!!!!) refrain from saying stuff like this!! It's not right at all. It is jsut as bad as racism.
BritBabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2003, 03:37 PM   #13
IMOiRock

Agree - men cause many more accidents than women. This is why there is such a big disparity in insurance rates.
Unread 06-11-2003, 03:39 PM   #14
ViPER_SR2001

Wow... chill! You gotta get yourself some thicker skin!

If we generalize, than that is because that has been our experiance on the road. I think the same way... the most close calls I had with women who don't know how to drive, and don't have a clue about signs and other rules.

So... in my opinion women are bad drivers, there are always exceptions, but most of them are just bad. Again... that is my opinion, if you get that pissed off about that, then... well.... BE IT!
Unread 06-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #15
ViPER_SR2001

Quote:
Originally posted by IMOiRock
Agree - men cause many more accidents than women.

Wrong....

Yes - Men cause more accidents... However, there a many more male drivers than female drivers. If you take the percentage of how many men are driving, and how many of them cause accidents, and compare it to the women.... Then you'll see that the percentage of female drivers who cause accidents are higher than the percentage of men.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.