Some days it'll start instantly, other days it'll take a couple seconds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Some days it'll start instantly, other days it'll take a couple seconds

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Some days it'll start instantly, other days it'll take a couple seconds

The title describes it pretty well. I rebuilt the throttle body when I bought this Jeep, and a couple months ago I cleaned it to see if it would help, but no luck and it wasn't even very dirty. I have no pending or confirmed codes and no vacuum leaks and it runs great, it just bugs me how I literally just tap the start and it fires up, then other times I have to hold it on the start for I'd say an average of 2-3seconds, sometimes more. Engine temp doesn't appear to matter either.
I know I'm being really picky but I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if over all this is just normal and you can't change it? I'm OCD and I aim to have everything perfect. :P

herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
wtb300
1994 ZJ 

I'm thinking coil mine was the same way till it went out on the highway lol
I should add that I'm a learn as I go mechanic so to speak so I could be way off but the new coil I bought solved that for me
wtb300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtb300 View Post
I'm thinking coil mine was the same way till it went out on the highway lol
Hmm I forgot about that. I found a crack in my coil lil over half a year ago and replaced it when trying to diagnose the infamous ECM stall issue I had yet to hear about (fixed by bending the pins that connect the two halves of the ECM together to connect better) but I got a Duralast coil or some AutoZone brand like that and every rare once and awhile I'll find a pending code saying something about the coil. I keep hearing about ignition upgrades for this engine so maybe I'll see what this "upgrade" is and do it.
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

My first guess is fuel pump.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
My first guess is fuel pump.
Though it's not hooked up 24/7 to a pressure gauge I did have a pressure gauge on it for a day and it never went under, if I remember correctly, 42psi at the fuel rail.
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Moparmissus
1994 ZJ 

Are the days it "takes a little longer" wet days? Old Mopars had an issue with wet weather/high humidity starts. I used to carry a can of WD-40 in the glovebox of my '67 Valiant!
Moparmissus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmissus View Post
Are the days it "takes a little longer" wet days? Old Mopars had an issue with wet weather/high humidity starts. I used to carry a can of WD-40 in the glovebox of my '67 Valiant!
Nope, it's completely independent of weather, I was suspecting as it warmed up and winter went away it would be happy again but zero difference from a 30F snow/rain day and 75F day.
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some days mine cranks a little longer then others, but if I stick the key in the ignition to the "on" position, just before the start, let it sit for about 5 seconds then hit it to start it fires right up every time.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Some days mine cranks a little longer then others, but if I stick the key in the ignition to the "on" position, just before the start, let it sit for about 5 seconds then hit it to start it fires right up every time.
I've tried that too with no luck sadly. Most of the time I don't even stop at Run I'll put the key in and straight to Start. But even after counting to five every time I start it for a few days it made no difference.
I just can't even find anything to point me in a direction. Rain or sun, hot or cold, waiting or instantly starting, it four out of ten times will take a couple seconds on the starter. Some times when it's on the starter you can feel the engine stumbling for a split second then it kicks and it's running, other times it's like the injectors are off while it's starting for a second and then they're turned on and it's running.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj
I'll have to try this technique, because I have the same odd starting issue. "Issue" is a strong word because its more of an annoyance than a problem. It's so minor I'm fact, that I'm hesitant to mess with anything simply because its acted like this for years and its been no better or worse. But trying a different start "routine"at do the trick.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcyclone View Post
I'll have to try this technique, because I have the same odd starting issue. "Issue" is a strong word because its more of an annoyance than a problem. It's so minor I'm fact, that I'm hesitant to mess with anything simply because its acted like this for years and its been no better or worse. But trying a different start "routine"at do the trick.
my thought process, crank shaft position sensor. I replaced mine with a non mopar(mistake) but it still works, but ever since then is when I have this weird start.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
pauper
1998 ZJ 

Ordered a good quality fuel pump assembly from Kolak..
I used to play the "cycle the key on and off game"....
no more issues and I honestly feel that 5.9 pulls harder thru 2nd gear.
my 2 cents...
pauper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.