Some days it'll start instantly, other days it'll take a couple seconds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Some days it'll start instantly, other days it'll take a couple seconds

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Some days it'll start instantly, other days it'll take a couple seconds

The title describes it pretty well. I rebuilt the throttle body when I bought this Jeep, and a couple months ago I cleaned it to see if it would help, but no luck and it wasn't even very dirty. I have no pending or confirmed codes and no vacuum leaks and it runs great, it just bugs me how I literally just tap the start and it fires up, then other times I have to hold it on the start for I'd say an average of 2-3seconds, sometimes more. Engine temp doesn't appear to matter either.
I know I'm being really picky but I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if over all this is just normal and you can't change it? I'm OCD and I aim to have everything perfect. :P

herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
wtb300
1994 ZJ 

I'm thinking coil mine was the same way till it went out on the highway lol
I should add that I'm a learn as I go mechanic so to speak so I could be way off but the new coil I bought solved that for me
wtb300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtb300 View Post
I'm thinking coil mine was the same way till it went out on the highway lol
Hmm I forgot about that. I found a crack in my coil lil over half a year ago and replaced it when trying to diagnose the infamous ECM stall issue I had yet to hear about (fixed by bending the pins that connect the two halves of the ECM together to connect better) but I got a Duralast coil or some AutoZone brand like that and every rare once and awhile I'll find a pending code saying something about the coil. I keep hearing about ignition upgrades for this engine so maybe I'll see what this "upgrade" is and do it.
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

My first guess is fuel pump.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
My first guess is fuel pump.
Though it's not hooked up 24/7 to a pressure gauge I did have a pressure gauge on it for a day and it never went under, if I remember correctly, 42psi at the fuel rail.
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Moparmissus
1994 ZJ 

Are the days it "takes a little longer" wet days? Old Mopars had an issue with wet weather/high humidity starts. I used to carry a can of WD-40 in the glovebox of my '67 Valiant!
Moparmissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmissus View Post
Are the days it "takes a little longer" wet days? Old Mopars had an issue with wet weather/high humidity starts. I used to carry a can of WD-40 in the glovebox of my '67 Valiant!
Nope, it's completely independent of weather, I was suspecting as it warmed up and winter went away it would be happy again but zero difference from a 30F snow/rain day and 75F day.
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some days mine cranks a little longer then others, but if I stick the key in the ignition to the "on" position, just before the start, let it sit for about 5 seconds then hit it to start it fires right up every time.
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Some days mine cranks a little longer then others, but if I stick the key in the ignition to the "on" position, just before the start, let it sit for about 5 seconds then hit it to start it fires right up every time.
I've tried that too with no luck sadly. Most of the time I don't even stop at Run I'll put the key in and straight to Start. But even after counting to five every time I start it for a few days it made no difference.
I just can't even find anything to point me in a direction. Rain or sun, hot or cold, waiting or instantly starting, it four out of ten times will take a couple seconds on the starter. Some times when it's on the starter you can feel the engine stumbling for a split second then it kicks and it's running, other times it's like the injectors are off while it's starting for a second and then they're turned on and it's running.
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj
I'll have to try this technique, because I have the same odd starting issue. "Issue" is a strong word because its more of an annoyance than a problem. It's so minor I'm fact, that I'm hesitant to mess with anything simply because its acted like this for years and its been no better or worse. But trying a different start "routine"at do the trick.
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcyclone View Post
I'll have to try this technique, because I have the same odd starting issue. "Issue" is a strong word because its more of an annoyance than a problem. It's so minor I'm fact, that I'm hesitant to mess with anything simply because its acted like this for years and its been no better or worse. But trying a different start "routine"at do the trick.
my thought process, crank shaft position sensor. I replaced mine with a non mopar(mistake) but it still works, but ever since then is when I have this weird start.
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
pauper
1998 ZJ 

Ordered a good quality fuel pump assembly from Kolak..
I used to play the "cycle the key on and off game"....
no more issues and I honestly feel that 5.9 pulls harder thru 2nd gear.
my 2 cents...
pauper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.