Soft(er) Ride Lift Coils? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Soft(er) Ride Lift Coils?

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 10-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

Soft(er) Ride Lift Coils?

currently have what i believe are procrap coil springs giving me 'roughly' 3" of lift. the kit came from a buddy's 95 V8 ZJ and the front coils seem too stiff for my liking; the front is very bumpy/stiff/harsh which makes for odd handling on the highway and a rough ride off road. the rear seems ok, most likely because there is the weight of a matching 31" spare, a storage box with my jack and CO2 tank, misc tools and fluids in the cargo area weighting the suspension down. im looking to replace the front coils with something that will give me a better ride on and off road and noticed that RE has a 3.5" spring with a 150 in/lb rating. how does this rate compare to a factory front coil? will this coil give me the more mellow ride im after or is it going to be too soft? i dont plan to put a winch or big plated bumper on the front either

thanks in advance!

1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Sextiva
1996 ZJ 

I remember reading that OME(Old Man Emu) Coils were the best riding period for suspension lifts.
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Rook87
1997 ZJ 

I have the 3.5 RE front coils and stock I6 coils in the rear with zone shocks. I'd like to think she rides pretty good. Off road and on, Anyways good luck haha
Rook87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What shocks are you running?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea, what whiteout asked. The shocks are gonna make the biggest difference. Get some nice shocks. I see you already have Bilstein shocks NM. Those are nice. I have the OME HD coils and I can say that they are very nice. They take bumps well and feel nice and firm in turns. Not too harsh at all. In fact I would like them to be a tad more stiff just for my personal preference. I am also running the 5100's.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

5100s. they ride amazing especially compared to the 'white rocket' hydraulic shocks that the lift came with, those were HORRIBLE!
1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Next place you need to look is control arm bushings and shock bushings. With RE coils and Bilstein shocks, you should not have a rough ride, are the shocks an appropriate length for the lift? Bottoming out would cause harsh ride conditions.
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

the lower arms have poly bushings. i just replaced the upper arms (front and rear incl bushings) and the front axle upper bushings. the shocks are for 2.5-4" of lift and are nowhere near bottoming out.

im looking at the RE springs to replace the existing procomp springs in the front
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Sorry, didn't realize you didn't have the RE springs lol. Guess I read the post of the guy below you.

Anyway, I has no issues with my RE springs with less than great shocks.
Unread 10-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Re coils are decent.

billsteins are good. shouldn't be to harsh of a ride really.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
the lower arms have poly bushings.
Rubber is so much better . Poly works good on sway bars . Top rated manufacturers use rubber bushings for a reason .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Rubber is so much better . Poly works good on sway bars . Top rated manufacturers use rubber bushings for a reason .
the lift was a freebee after a buddy went to long arms. id like to see about swapping over to rubber bushings as im not a fan of poly. heck, might even be a lil more flexy with rubber in em
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
the lift was a freebee after a buddy went to long arms. id like to see about swapping over to rubber bushings as im not a fan of poly. heck, might even be a lil more flexy with rubber in em
Poly just doesn't retain it's shape after a shot period of use , especially on a lifted jeep . We flex and put a lot of strain on the bushings . Eventually , they oval and have play . Not to mention the harsh ride from them . I bet if you took out the frame side bolt , the arm would just drop to the floor on that end .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #14
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

so apparently procrap decided to use some weird size for their bushings and i have had no luck finding rubber replacements. the only option was to get new poly bushings from procrap.....at nearly $100! eff that!

did some research/calling around and found that rough country uses OE style rubber bushings in their fixed lower arms. at less than $100 a pair, i went ahead and ordered em up for the front and rear. eventually i plan to go long arm with 4" springs, but for the time being this hopefully will help it out at least a little.
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Rubicon Express used rubber at one end and a rebuildable poly at the other. Ran that combo for over ten years. They don't wear faster on built jeeps.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.