Socket size for 4.0 crank sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Socket size for 4.0 crank sensor

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Socket size for 4.0 crank sensor

What size mother****in socket fits the damn bolt head on this pos

dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Got it
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

This thing is kickin my tail,how do ya'll manage to get the new one in?top or bottom
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
shaban
1996 ZJ 

11 mm socket seems to work. I've been putting it back from underneath, got my hand in from engine side of a bellhousing and holding the freakin bolt and bracket.
And with other hand trying to balance 4 extensions with a wobbler and a socket.
works out after a while.
Having the shift cable ziptied out of the way helps.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Easier of someone holds the cps in place from top while you work the afor mentioned 24" of extensions from bottom. Watch your elbow on the lca, almost broke mine on it.
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Shaban,i dont want to talk about that freakin shift cable lol,if i ever get my hands on the idiots that designed this damn thing,im goin to jail
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
What size mother****in socket fits the damn bolt head on this pos
11m/m or 7/16" - either should work.

If you unbolt the transmission crossmember from the frame rails, you can lower the aft end of the powertrain assembly and get more room to reach the screws - you'll still need 24-30" of extensions to do it easily, but that will make it easier to see what you're doing and give you more room to reach it (I have a 30" 3/8" extension I found by accident years ago - with that and a flex socket, I can go right in and hit the screws without needing to lower the drivetrain. Look for my posts on slotting the bracket - I don't even have to take the screws out anymore, just loosen them from under, change the part from up top, and tighten the screws back up. I think the last one took me ten minutes.)
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

10 minutes?want a job?lol
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

It really shouldn't take more than 10 mins. I find it being a lot easier on mine with it being lifted and all but with the right tools its not that difficult
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Once i figured out the socket size,it came out rather easy.now im stuck figuring the best way to install the new one
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I always install the CKP from the top dusterdude. Since I'm not real tall (5'10") I'll stand on a milk crate so I can lean clear over the drivers side fender/engine to get my hand down in there to pop it in. It's also easier with this extra height for putting the wire/connector between the fill tube and support bracket while tying a string/wire to the passenger side it so it doesn't fall back on the top of the trans.

From the bottom I put a little bit of sticky window rope caulk in the end of the socket to hold the bolt in and a little bit on the outside of the bolt to hold the metal shield in place. I also wrap some loose electrical tape on the outside of the swivel 7/16" socket so it doesn't want to point/fall down while starting with about 2' of extension. If wanting to tighten/torque straighter sometimes I'll put another 10" piece of 1/2" extension on and go over-top of the cross-member while not removing the other extension/socket. Tying back the kick down cable to the far left also helps. Good luck, not a fun job, and have had to do this 5-6 times.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.