So what do you think??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > So what do you think???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

Help Please and what do you think???

Well, thanks to a few people in here with their sound advice and a big thanks goes out to Kolak, who has been more than helpful and super to do business with.... I've modified the truck to my liking......so far!!

I've put on the Rough Country 2" BB lift w/Hydro 8000 shocks, JKS adj. trackbar (from Kolak), Energy Suspension Greasable Bushings (Kolak), Rear Sway Bar (Kolak), all new ball joints and TRE's up front, Westin Safari Light Bar, 245-70-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires, AVS Ventshades...and still looking forward to a new hitch, some BPE's (Kolak) and a few other light mods.

Since the upgrades, I do have a few issues...

Firstly, clunking noise up front over quick bumps (that's what I hope the BPE's will help eliminate), a bit of rubbing and squeaking and creaking up front (which I think could be some bushings or rubbing somewhere), and now I hear a bit of whining starting at about 10MPH and on (which I hope is not my transfer case!!!)

If any of you could suggest what else these noises could be, please let me know.

Anyways, here are the links to the pics of my ride:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7503/jeep003.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9350/jeep002e.jpg
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6496/jeep001x.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/447/jeep007.jpg

Let me know what you think and any advice would be great!!

Thanks all!

Last edited by BreadsWJ; 05-22-2010 at 05:14 PM..
BreadsWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

cont..

Forgot to mention I also got the RC Performance 2.2 Steering Stabizer... a definite must for any lift!!

Cheers.
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadsWJ View Post

Let me know what you think and any advice would be great!!

Thanks all!

no click

10char

[SIZE="3"][B]2001 WJ Laredo 4.0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"
ras2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

anyone can help?

**Thanks ras2001wj for posting the pics above***

Hey All,

Anyone can help with what I posted in the middle of the first post...

"Since the upgrades, I do have a few issues...

Firstly, clunking noise up front over quick bumps (that's what I hope the BPE's will help eliminate), a bit of rubbing and squeaking and creaking up front (which I think could be some bushings or rubbing somewhere), and now I hear a bit of whining starting at about 10MPH and on (which I hope is not my transfer case!!!)

If any of you could suggest what else these noises could be, please let me know."

If you got any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks
Unread 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

??? Anyone?

I think I isolated the big creaking noises to either be my swing arm bushings or something I haven't pinpointed yet

The main concern is the whining. Should I be expecting either my tc or my diff to start giving me major problems?

Any help would be great, thanks.
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

suggestions?

Can anyone help with some of my issues??

The creak in the front is getting quite loud and is happening over each and every little bump in the road, when I accelerate and decelerate, quite annoying.

As for the whining, since I changed all of my fluids recently, I'm wondering if I didn't put enough friction modifier in the front diff. Could this cause the whining issue?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks.
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

I had a clunk over quick bumps and it stopped when I bought new shocks. be sure to check that your shock are mounted tight enough

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

Tire whine maybe?
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
Tire whine maybe?
I've ruled out that it's not the tires.

It's either diff or tcase, just wondering if changing the fluids in them would cause this to start happening. My tcase fluid was in pretty good shape when I changed it (used Mopar 247 proper fluid) and my diff fluid was a little dirty, but didn't notice any shavings of any sort. I'm hoping to redo it this weekend and make sure I use enough friction modifier this time in the front.

As for the clunking issue, I do think that the BPE's from Kolak will solve that, but the extreme metal to metal creaking I hear has to be a bushing of some sort. I know everything is tightly torqued, so just have to pinpoint that noise.

Thanks.
Unread 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
SpinOut123
2000 WJ 

Hey BreadsWJ,
For the creaking/clunking noise, check your adjustable trackbar. I don't know if anyone else has this issue but mine would clunk at first before I lubed it up. Also check the jam nut on your trackbar and make sure thats nice and tight.
Mine would creak/clunk on the frame side mount. I took mine out and greased it with some synthetic axle grease. Before I did that it almost seemed like it was binding.
Hope that helps.
SpinOut123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

I have some pretty good ideas what your problems may be. I don't have time to go into it all now, but I'll post again later with details.
!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!! '02 WJ Graphite Limited 4.7 with all options; IRO 5.5" coils; JKS U/L CAs; RK Adj. TB; MX-6; JKS Discos; JKS BPEs; Hard-KOR SS; KOR Endlinks; Rear Addco; IRO A-arm spacer; BS Ext.; Ext. SRs; 255/75-R17 BFG M/Ts; 17" Chrome Torque Wheels; SpiderTrax; Westin Safari Bar; KC 600 Series HiLites; Rock Rails; Smittybilt TL Guards; Smittybilt Blk Hitch Shackle w/Lock; H.O. Intake/Spectre Cone Filter. http://snipurl.com/7attr
WJ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Freak View Post
I have some pretty good ideas what your problems may be. I don't have time to go into it all now, but I'll post again later with details.
Sounds good, I really need to get rid of these issues, spoils the enjoyment of running a WJ!!! LOL.
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
patrick983
2000 WJ 

as for your whine, i would guess driveshafts first...since you probably didnt do anything to the differentials recently during your installs, but lifting changes the driveshaft angles and even the slightest changes can cause different noises. check out which front shaft you have, and compare to the charts at tom woods website and carolinadriveline.com. u can also take out the front shaft and see if it disappears. my front driveshaft didnt last very long even with just a 2in lift (~3 months)

and make sure u greased those energy bushings really well, they are noisy!
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
WJ Freak
2002 WJ 

Here's my take on your issues.

First off, the BPEs will take care of the clunking (they're JKS, right?). I had the exact same thing when I had my KOR 2.5" BB and the BPEs eliminated the clunks. Now, one thing that occurs with the BB spacers is creaking and squeaking, from time to time. I've heard it's worse with brands other than Kevin's (KOR) because of the aircraft quality material he uses to have his manufactured, but it still happened even with his, so that may be something you'll have to live with. It gets worse with time. It's one of the reasons I upgraded to a full lift and got rid of the spacers. If you've thoroughly lubed everything else, it may be the spacers. One thing you can do is put your rig up so the springs drop and put a little grease on top of the spacers. Make sure you spread it around.

As far as the whining, it could be a couple of things. It could be the drive shaft is being stressed at it's new angle. A lot of guys recommend adding an A-arm spacer to drop the rear differential down, in order to put the drive shaft back at the right angle, and some even say you should also add a transfer case spacer, with any kind of lift. Others say the T-case drop isn't necessary and the A-arm spacer is only necessary with lifts 3.5" and up. My feeling is, from my experience, do the A-arm spacer with any lift. Iron Rock OffRoad has the best, and I got mine on sale when I did my lift for $60. You can also find them used. This may or may not solve your whine, but I had several issues with parts wearing out too soon when I had my BB. My mechanic said it was a good idea putting the A-arm spacer on with my 6" lift and that it would have helped with any lift.

The other thing you may want to take a look at are the wheel components, like bearings, etc.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. I hope this helps, and please let me know your progress.

!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!! '02 WJ Graphite Limited 4.7 with all options; IRO 5.5" coils; JKS U/L CAs; RK Adj. TB; MX-6; JKS Discos; JKS BPEs; Hard-KOR SS; KOR Endlinks; Rear Addco; IRO A-arm spacer; BS Ext.; Ext. SRs; 255/75-R17 BFG M/Ts; 17" Chrome Torque Wheels; SpiderTrax; Westin Safari Bar; KC 600 Series HiLites; Rock Rails; Smittybilt TL Guards; Smittybilt Blk Hitch Shackle w/Lock; H.O. Intake/Spectre Cone Filter. http://snipurl.com/7attr

Last edited by WJ Freak; 06-03-2010 at 01:51 PM..
WJ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

Progress!

Well, I installed the BPE's (yes the JKS ones) and the harder clunking disappeared, YAY!!!!!!!

As for the creaking, I've minimized it by greasing up the heck out of almost every bushing and moving part I could find under there! Creaking is almost gone, just very faint. I still think I have to remove the trackbar completely and lube up the bushings with some Red N' Tacky to see if that cures it completely.

As for the whining, I haven't had the time to pinpoint it, but I have to replace my condenser next week so I'll see if it's the steering pump, or drive shaft or something??

Meanwhile, I've also got some OEM roof cross bars from Ebay for $40, they were in mint condition and looking at getting some lights for the Safari Bar.

Still gotta get my hitch and a few other goodies.

If anyone has instructions for installing (the wiring part of it) the 2 lights on the Safari Bar, please post a link. I couldn't find any definitive "best way" to fish the wiring through to the inside dash.

What was said in other threads is very true....I have the 2" BB, and I wish I just waited and got the 4"!!!!!!!

Thanks to all, will keep this thread updated with pics and progress!!

Cheers from Canada

Tags
2002 , grand cherokee , install , lift kit , rough country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.