So are Money saver lift kits worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > So are Money saver lift kits worth it?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
silent35
1997 ZJ 

So are Money saver lift kits worth it?

Are coil spacers really that effective? i found a 3 inch for 150 bucks.... that just seems way to cheap? Does it really work? or does it suffer from thing like only last 2 years or any other risks? it all just seems to easy to me. Has anyone tried something like this? this is the one im looking at. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1998-Je...f71d9a&vxp=mtr

silent35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

thats the way to go if you want to deal with a ****ty ride and death wobble. dont cheap out on the lift, you will spend alot more fixing it down the road.
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
silent35
1997 ZJ 

So a 400 dollar rough country 3 inch would be better?
silent35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Money saving and lift kits are four words that do not belong together of your doing it right, you get what you pay for
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

2" budget boost, new shocks, front adjustable track bar would be around 400 bucks. You would probably need longer front sway bar endlinks and then there's the bigger tires.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

i wouldn't even do RC lift. IRO or RE
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

1: goto bank
2: apply for credit card; i recommend one with travel points, because A: your going to rack up alot of them and B: you will need them to travel while your jeep is down
3: goto local parts store. bring them coffee (buy it with credit card) get to know them because you will be seeing them alot.
4: order up: new control arms (Aftermarket adjustable are best, or long arms) new hubs, new steering, tie rods, (i'd recommend Currie) and hell, might as well do balljoints while your there.
5: install all new said parts with lift. put bigger tires on it. get it aligned, or learn how to do it yourself (much easier and cheaper)
6: take picture of jeep flexed out on parking lot curb
7: complain on jeepforum how expensive jeeps are. but have good jeep.

OR

1: buy 3" fat bobs puck lift; save money. be happy drive jeep around the parking lot. all is good and all people on jeepforum are idiots for telling you to spend money.
2: jeep hits bump on road; deathwobble ensues.
3: you goto Walmart and buy new underpants because you had an accident in yours when you experienced death wobble
4: you install steering stabilizer to help issue and get an alignment. issue goes away for a week.
5: more death wobble. repeat step 3.
6: you buy more parts to help fix the problem even though you aren't sure why its there.
7: problem persists. at least now you are aware of DW and don't mess your pants when it happens. saving money on underpants = win
8: you have now spent close to the same amount as you would have in scenario A on new hubs, balljoints, and a track bar. problem persists.
9: you do one of two things: A: you order up all new control arms, track bars and steering to fix the issue your 150$ lift caused; only to realize now you need real coils and shocks to work with the better quality lift stuff you just ordered.
10: you say **** this and sell jeep with cheap lift and DW because your sick of it and want to burn it.

i guess in short, no; the 3" puck isn't a good option. and its not 'that easy'
i're run the RC lifts and IRO lifts and all those stupid 3.5" lifts are the same; incomplete. if you have worn front end components you'll end up replacing them all anyways. might as well do it with aftermarket parts. so you'll end up with controls arms and aftermarket track bars eventually.

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You can do a 2" or 3" BB and not get death wobble.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

This is exactly why people like me have such a hard time figuring out what to do. Like many others here, I've never lifted a ZJ so not real familiar with what I need, and I certainly don't have unlimited funds. We ask about "BB's" and such and then an avalanche of opinions come flooding in without anything close to a general consensus. Some people say you need this, or that, or you don't need that or this, and a BB sucks, and a BB is awesome, get a real suspension, you don't need a real suspension, its wrong, its right, its unsafe, its fine, this will work, that won't, vice-versa, etc etc etc. I've been trying to figure out what to order for a few weeks now and still haven't spent a nickle because I'm not sure what to do. I've asked questions until my fingers hurt, read hundreds of forum and manufacturer webpages, researched the various components, and still I'm not sure what to do. For example, try to find a semi-definitive answer on whether or not you need new adjustable trackbars with a 2.25" BB. Have fun, good luck.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Someone will answer YES, you must have them because your Jeep will spontaneously explode if you don't and yadayadayada. The next reply will be from someone saying you don't NEED them but its a good idea and you should. Then the third reply will be "you don't need them, save your money, I've run it this way for a 100 years with no problems." ARGH!!!!

I think in this case reply #2 is probably the most accurate, so I'll probably just have to suck it up and spend the dough. But then if I do that, I'm approaching the cost of a "real" lift such as an IRO 3.5". But then if I do that, I have the same questions about control arms (for example) and the whole thing starts over again.
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

There is no definitive answer. I put my 2" BB on with new shocks and discovered later that I needed an adj front track bar. Some people don't need one but I did. I think partly because I have a thicker front swaybar and because the front axle was off a little from the BB it caused the sway bar to rub on the stock track bar mount.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i was being sarcastic and honest. he asked what parts might go out in the next few years from running the lift. i told him. n why are you so upity?

everyone looks at the $$$ of a lift kit and do not see the bottom line. thats maintenence. all the added stress from a lift will wear your whole front end down in a few months. that doesn't matter what lift you run. 15 year old jeeps wear out. it happens.

you want a definitive answer? the 2" BB (that measures to 1.75") is just fine in 90% of applications. the 2.25" is probably fine too. considering your stock springs have probably sagged you might not even get 2" over factory anyways. 3" spacers is a world of trouble.

also, google 'fat bobs lift' and you can get an avalanche of opinion on that as well. tell me theres no concensus after that........

i think Whiteout has been hanging around on truck forums to long..... a 3" BB is nothing but trouble.

Unread 05-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
i think Whiteout has been hanging around on truck forums to long..... a 3" BB is nothing but trouble.
3" body lift is cool though right?

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
3" body lift is cool though right?

i think you might have some fitment issues but it should work with some special fab skillz

Unread 05-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

A definitive answer isn't realistic, I understand the variables. But I'm having trouble even arriving at a general consensus. I don't intend to seem ungrateful for free advice, I'm simply frustrated with my own lack of ability to figure out what I need and how to go about it. I wish money wasn't an issue, I could just throw all new parts at it and be on my way. But alas, my budget is limited (as are the budgets of many) so I'm trying to do the best with the least.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.