So I bought a 94 ZJ Last week... need some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > So I bought a 94 ZJ Last week... need some help

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Carroll182
1994 ZJ 

So I bought a 94 ZJ Last week... need some help

Hey there.

I have had a 93 ZJ for a couple years now. Its a 5.2 with 150k. Love this Jeep, but the engine has a crazy bad knock. It still has perfect oil pressure, and no loss of power/acceleration. But this isnt why im posting i guess. Though if you have any ideas id love to hear.

Now onto the 94. Its a 4.0 with 180k. Paid $2500. Its it great physical shape so i was happy with that price.

Here are the issues im having. Would love all the help i can get. After the holidays im planning on getting a lifetime membership here. Seem to like this place so far. By the way, i did use the search feature. But i need to converse with my input/observations to see it my way, lol.

1. The engine idles rough in drive... Ive read about the IAC. I cleaned it last weekend, along with a full throttle body/gas tank of Seafoam. I know some of you hate it and some of you swear by it. Thought it was worth a try, and did seem to help at first, but it came back with haste.

2. Heater want blowing hot air. Only kinda warm at best. So i flushed the heater core. Worked great! Heat worked for a few days great, but maybe its my imagination, or its just really that cold outside, but it seems to be getting cooler by the day...

3. So after flushing my heater core... DRIVERS SIDE has water in floorboard, and a decent amount. I first thought, crap...there goes my heater core. But then i remembered... thats on PASSENGERS SIDE. So hmm.. leak somewhere? I didnt really have time to track this down, and i work crazy hours during the week, so i havent gotten there yet. But i did notice the rubber grommet for the wires between my door and body is was Disconnected on the body side. So i have reseated that. Maybe the door seal is bad or something. We had heavy rain and it happened again as well.

4. Windshield wiper delay setting doesnt work... its either low through all the delays and low, or high. No idea on this, maybe i just need a know blinker arm control. Or is there a relay?

5. The rear window wiper doesnt seem to press against the window, its lazy, it just rests about an 1/8" from the window. I noticed a spring behind it, maybe i could just replace that?

6. I noticed a hose coming right off the top of the engine in the back, i think brake booster cable(?), was completely disconnected. So i kinda just shoved it back in and seems to be holding, not sure what kind of problems that could have caused.

7. My 93 had a digital VIC, but my 94 doesnt, how hard is it to switch them over if i dont have both connections in the 94? Maybe its in there somewhere and i just need to dig for it?

8. I changed the air filter and noticed a small amount of oil pooled in a spot where a hose comes into the air box, is this normal?

9. My 93 has powered seats, and my 94 doesnt, how hard would these be to change over, does it have the connector under the carpet still or is this something id have to run myself?

I think thats all for now.

I am willing to use the 93 for parts for the time being on things applicable to this.

Thank you for reading, i know its long, but im just really loving these Jeeps right now and want to get at least one of them running great so it will last as long as possible,

Josh

Carroll182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

5. I had the same problem. Some WD40 on the spring and hinge helped, a new spring would help more.
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carroll182 View Post
Hey there.

I have had a 93 ZJ for a couple years now. Its a 5.2 with 150k. Love this Jeep, but the engine has a crazy bad knock. It still has perfect oil pressure, and no loss of power/acceleration. But this isnt why im posting i guess. Though if you have any ideas id love to hear.

Now onto the 94. Its a 4.0 with 180k. Paid $2500. Its it great physical shape so i was happy with that price.

Here are the issues im having. Would love all the help i can get. After the holidays im planning on getting a lifetime membership here. Seem to like this place so far. By the way, i did use the search feature. But i need to converse with my input/observations to see it my way, lol.

1. The engine idles rough in drive... Ive read about the IAC. I cleaned it last weekend, along with a full throttle body/gas tank of Seafoam. I know some of you hate it and some of you swear by it. Thought it was worth a try, and did seem to help at first, but it came back with haste.

2. Heater want blowing hot air. Only kinda warm at best. So i flushed the heater core. Worked great! Heat worked for a few days great, but maybe its my imagination, or its just really that cold outside, but it seems to be getting cooler by the day...

3. So after flushing my heater core... DRIVERS SIDE has water in floorboard, and a decent amount. I first thought, crap...there goes my heater core. But then i remembered... thats on PASSENGERS SIDE. So hmm.. leak somewhere? I didnt really have time to track this down, and i work crazy hours during the week, so i havent gotten there yet. But i did notice the rubber grommet for the wires between my door and body is was Disconnected on the body side. So i have reseated that. Maybe the door seal is bad or something. We had heavy rain and it happened again as well.

4. Windshield wiper delay setting doesnt work... its either low through all the delays and low, or high. No idea on this, maybe i just need a know blinker arm control. Or is there a relay?

5. The rear window wiper doesnt seem to press against the window, its lazy, it just rests about an 1/8" from the window. I noticed a spring behind it, maybe i could just replace that?

Get some grease or some kind of lube and lube the spring up or get a new wiper arm.. Or just bend the metal arm like i did to mine and it works great now.
6. I noticed a hose coming right off the top of the engine in the back, i think brake booster cable(?), was completely disconnected. So i kinda just shoved it back in and seems to be holding, not sure what kind of problems that could have caused.

7. My 93 had a digital VIC, but my 94 doesnt, how hard is it to switch them over if i dont have both connections in the 94? Maybe its in there somewhere and i just need to dig for it?

8. I changed the air filter and noticed a small amount of oil pooled in a spot where a hose comes into the air box, is this normal?

If you have oil coming through that hose then that means your PCV system is clogged or not working. Go to the other valve cover passenger side.. Replace that hose and the PCV valve and the problem should go away.

9. My 93 has powered seats, and my 94 doesnt, how hard would these be to change over, does it have the connector under the carpet still or is this something id have to run myself?

I think thats all for now.

I am willing to use the 93 for parts for the time being on things applicable to this.

Thank you for reading, i know its long, but im just really loving these Jeeps right now and want to get at least one of them running great so it will last as long as possible,

Josh

As for the rest i dunno
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
ONeil1234
1997 ZJ 

#1, my rough idle got alot better when i changed my spark plugs, cap, rotor. Its runs very smooth for me now. try that.
ONeil1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

2: possibly replace the thermostat then reflush the whole system as there may be stuff in the engine not just the heater core and it may have replugged the heater core.

6: hose on the back is for the pcv and without that being connected can cause your rough idle as you were leaking vacuum and can also cause the oil in the air filter housing
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
cdaniels85
1995 ZJ 

5. You need a new wiper arm. They aren't very expensive and are easy to replace. Just hit the spot where it connects to the hatch with some penetrating oil and you'll make life easier.
cdaniels85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Carroll182
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for all the help so far. I will try all this soon.

Keep em coming!
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
mxracer12
1996 ZJ 

check for water leaks at the top of the windshield. the ureathane holding the glass in comes unstuck from the body and leaks.... it is a common problem with most dodge and jeep products
mxracer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
Carroll182
1994 ZJ 

How do i test that? because i think id notice the water on my dash if this were the case?
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Here is link for wiper delay problem,Ignition Pulse Wiper Module Repair Project , these are known for going poop
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...roject-279739/

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater , idle , questions , water

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.