Smoking and overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Smoking and overheating

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Smoking and overheating

Ok, recently I made a really good (I think!) trade and acquired my 96 ZJ....

I had to put in a new radiator and exhaust but other than that, I thought it was ok....

Yesterday, I went to go on a semi long trip and it started to over heat. I pulled into the parts store, bought a thermostat/gasket, and put that in. Drove it more, still over heated.

After that, I noticed smoke coming from the oil dipstick when I lifted it out, oil fill cap once removed, and around the valve cover.

Today I went and started it up to try to see more, and now it is smoking near the back of the motor around the driver side valve cover.

ANY IDEAS ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, the ac compressor is making a noise like it is bad, don't think this would make a huge difference. The heater won't blow out hot/warm air either.....

I'm stumped

_AdriaN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any ideas ?

I don't believe that it is the head gasket, no smoke from tail pipe.

Would a pcv valve type deal cause this ? I noticed on the back of the block...top of valve cover the hose that runs from it to the intake is broke.

Pic showing what I am talking about

Last edited by _AdriaN_; 08-16-2009 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Added pic
Unread 08-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
SouthSeaPirate

I would have to guess a collapsed hose (or a clog somewhere else in the system). Have you replaced them yet? Did you flush the system before you put the new rad in?

Also check your oil for any milky residue along with checking the water for oil...

You also need to fix the vacuum leak. That one goes to the intake, no vehicle would like that, specially fuel injected...

That AC compressor noise could be a failing water pump, Im going through that right now. Explain the noise you hear and when. I will find my other thread for you to see if it matches your comp issue.

When was it smoking? Hot, cold, idle, moving, sometimes, always?
SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oil is not milky...

I am planning on fixing the hose ASAP, but store didn't have it last night.

The sound is a kinda like a old tricycle noise... wobbly wheel noise ???

It smokes at idle, as I was letting it warm up... also when I shut it off when gauge went up.

Also I have not replaced hoses and did not flush system before the radiator... Not familiar with that...

Last edited by _AdriaN_; 08-16-2009 at 01:31 PM..
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
SouthSeaPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AdriaN_ View Post
Oil is not milky...

I am planning on fixing the hose ASAP, but store didn't have it last night.

The sound is a kinda like a old tricycle noise... wobbly wheel noise ???

It smokes at idle, as I was letting it warm up... also when I shut it off when gauge went up.

Also I have not replaced hoses and did not flush system before the radiator... Not familiar with that...
Make sure that the screech is not actually the belt, I recently found out those things have got to be tight and I mean TIGHT. After that, if it still squeaks it might be your water pump.

Since your overheat, have you checked your oil level and quality?

Flush the system by running a water hose through all the rad hoses you can find. Always good to take out the stat too and make sure the heater is set to on. Just keep running water through it, let it drain all out and do it again. Your going to see all kinds of stuff come out of there. Which I still believe you have some type of blockage, either hose or crap in the system.

Heres the link I was refering to before: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/overheating-while-idleing-burp-system-837453/

Last edited by SouthSeaPirate; 08-16-2009 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: LINK
SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.