smoking brakes?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > smoking brakes?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
1995OrvisJeep

smoking brakes?!

I was on ghr freeway when I suddenly smell something burning. I iginored it thinking it was the car infront of me. Drove in the city for a bit and a lot of resistance from the car. Got home and my front drivers side wheel was smoking like crazy! Took the wheel off and replaced the caliper ($20 @ autozone) hopefully this fixes the problem

Any input?

1995OrvisJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Happens all the time.

Quite often soon after replacing pads and rotors. This is why I always replace pads, rotors, and calipers at the same time these days.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

You might want to keep an eye on it for awhile, often when the caliper sticks like that the problem is actually the hose. The hose can also be damaged by the overheated caliper. The inner liner breaks down and lets fluid by under the large amount of pressure from the master cylinder but cant get back out as easily. I saw this all the time back when I sold parts and it happened on my sister's car once. Replaced the caliper and it still was overheating, replaced the hose and fixed it.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
1995OrvisJeep

Thanks for the input
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
You might want to keep an eye on it for awhile, often when the caliper sticks like that the problem is actually the hose. The hose can also be damaged by the overheated caliper. The inner liner breaks down and lets fluid by under the large amount of pressure from the master cylinder but cant get back out as easily. I saw this all the time back when I sold parts and it happened on my sister's car once. Replaced the caliper and it still was overheating, replaced the hose and fixed it.
I just had this happen a few weeks ago on my tow rig.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
1995OrvisJeep

Yeah now I know how much parts are for Jeeps I might just replace everything
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I had this happen to both calipers in the front once (a week or so after i'd sunk the front end in a muddy creek and had it stuck for an hour) it ended up just being the calipers, I replaced both and now a year later no problems.
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bleeding out all the old fluid will help keep the inside of the calipers from rusting. Old fluid will have moisture in it. Another issue is that the pads can hang up on the divots that form in the knuckles. If you have deep divots, you should replace the knuckles or weld and grind the bad area.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.