Smoke coming through the air filter!?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Smoke coming through the air filter!??

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
avs262

Smoke coming through the air filter!??

I have a question. I got in my 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee today, and right when I pulled out of the driveway, it died on me. I tried starting it a couple of times, but nothing. The engine will turn, but won't start. The starter is good, everything looks good. Except one thing...I opened the air filter case, and smoke was coming back up threw the air intake. I then took off the air filter, all the way down to the exhaust manifold, and tried starting again. but it won't start. Smoke is coming out of the exhaust manifold.

Does anyone know why this could be happening? A quick reply would be nice..I don't want to leave it outside overnight.

Thanks!
Jeff

avs262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
BucYouUp68
2013 JK Wrangler 

Are you getting Spark?

Not hard, if you have a socket wrench and the mental capacity of a ham sandwich.
BucYouUp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
avs262

Yes, it's getting spark. I changed the cps, checked the fluids, but still won't start. All the belts are in good condition too.
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

you mean you took the air filter off down to the intake manifold? and smoke is comming out? sounds like you have some serious carbon build up and your timing is off, like the intake ports are opening on the exhuast side and possibly vise versa.
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
avs262

Yes, when it first happened I took off the air filter all the way to the exhaust manifold, and smoke was coming out when I tried starting it. It doesn't come out anymore but that's because I only try starting for a couple seconds and not for a long time.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check for carbon build up around there.
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
avs262

After changing the CPS, does something need to be reset?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.