Smells like teen spirit.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Smells like teen spirit..

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
EYPUFF
1995 ZJ 

Smells like teen spirit..

And by teen spirit, I mean coolant.

For the past 6 months or so, the interior of my jeep has smelled like coolant. I'm thinking the heater core is to blame, but I just need someone to confirm it.
Here are the symptoms:

1.) Constantly smells like coolant.
2.) Smoke/Vapor comes through vents and fogs up windshield.
3.) Heater barely works, more lukewarm than hot.
4.) A/C doesn't work. (I get the ER message at every startup.)

Number 4 probably has nothing to do w/ the heater core, but I thought it might help. So any thoughts?

And if my suspicions are correct, how hard (read: pita) will it be? Any brands I should avoid? And anything I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks for all your help!
EY

Green Jeep Club Member # 32
EYPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

heater core is bad, replace it. That or the hoses going to it. but most likely the heatercore.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Is the lower part of your winshield above the vents getting a oily looking sheen to it that you can't wipe off easily with a paper towel?

If so it's the heater core.

They are no fun to replace on a ZJ because the dash has to be removed I think.
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Get an FSM before you do anything as far as removing the dash goes. Before I did it I would take it to an AC shop to have the HVAC system evac'd so you can replace the evaporator while you're in there. Not completely necessary but its such a poison to remove the dash its best to knock out whatever you can while you've got it apart.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
low_blazer
1993 ZJ 

Definately sounds like the heater core is gone...
low_blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

heater core it is, did mine in 10 days and that was with a week hospital stay so 2 long days will get it done I recomand buying a box of zip lock baggies cuz there are about 100 screws that need to come out and your not gonna remember where they all go so bagem and tagem
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Freak is 100% right and if you do try to do it yourself never work on a dash without a disconnected battery cable because of the danger of setting off the air bags.

If your Jeep were any newer then I bet you would be told to think about replacing the blend door thingy too.

It is a very hard job to do and if it was mine I would do it but pulling my engine would probably be easier.
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
longne
1996 ZJ 

I just did this job on my 96. Its not as hard as it sounds, just be ready to dedicate a weekend to it. Do both the heater core and the A/C Evaporator to save yourself from having to do the job twice. It took me a few hours to get out the air box and after replacing the cores it was pretty easy to get it all back together. You'll probably want an extra set of hands to slide the dash off and to put it back. Other than that, its just tedious. I do suggest a panel popper and plenty of different size socket extensions. There is a step by step guide somewhere on the site, it will help to figure out where to find screws and bolts.
longne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
EYPUFF
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Is the lower part of your winshield above the vents getting a oily looking sheen to it that you can't wipe off easily with a paper towel?

If so it's the heater core.

They are no fun to replace on a ZJ because the dash has to be removed I think.
Haha. Yes. The oily windshield has always been annoying.

Unread 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
EYPUFF
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longne View Post
I just did this job on my 96. Its not as hard as it sounds, just be ready to dedicate a weekend to it. Do both the heater core and the A/C Evaporator to save yourself from having to do the job twice. It took me a few hours to get out the air box and after replacing the cores it was pretty easy to get it all back together. You'll probably want an extra set of hands to slide the dash off and to put it back. Other than that, its just tedious. I do suggest a panel popper and plenty of different size socket extensions. There is a step by step guide somewhere on the site, it will help to figure out where to find screws and bolts.
My A/C hasn't working in years.. is it because of the blend doors & A/C evap?

Unread 12-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
longne
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYPUFF View Post
My A/C hasn't working in years.. is it because of the blend doors & A/C evap?
Likely there is corrosion on both the evaporator and the heater core. Leaves and junk get into the box through the air intake from outside. Its likely that if you replace the evap, you can get the A/C up and running.
longne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.