Smells Hot, where to start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Smells Hot, where to start?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

Smells Hot, where to start?

So my new to me 98 ZJ has been great so far. It has high miles (282k) as the PO did alot of traveling between Mass, Maine, and NH. It seems to have been well maintained, I even have some of the service records. All of that aside, I've been noticing that it smells hot sometimes after I drive it.

First let me say, I've yet to drive this thing more than 20 minutes at a time. Mostly I'm driving to work across town or to the store, etc etc. But sometimes even after these short trips I notice that the Jeep smells hot. Mostly I smell it near the passenger side rear. It's not a sweet smell, sort of hard to explain. Just smells like something burning off to me.

Not sure if it's something to be concerned with or not, wanted to get some thoughts about it from you guys.

Unread 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

At that spot might be a sticking brake. After you drive it for a bit and you smell the smell flick some water on the brakes/components If it boils, especially the rear since they arnt used much on short trips, brakes are sticking.
jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

That never even occurred to me, it does have sort of a brake smell to it. I'm not used to having discs in the rear. Will check that out for sure. If the rear brake is dragging, will the Jeep pull to one side like when a front brake drags?
Unread 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydmark1 View Post
That never even occurred to me, it does have sort of a brake smell to it. I'm not used to having discs in the rear. Will check that out for sure. If the rear brake is dragging, will the Jeep pull to one side like when a front brake drags?
Maybe gear oil or brakes. Scrutinize the e brake. They are drum style.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Might pull a little but really should be that noticable in the rear if they are dragging. Though your mpg would suffer. You might be able to get it to lock up. Get going about 20 mph hit the brakes good and hard and the rear may slide. Would be a good indication they are sticking.
jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.