Smell gas in my oil - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Smell gas in my oil

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

How old is your O2 sensor? Before I changed mine out, I noticed some "black" smoke at idle after a minute or so, and really seen some when I got on it. My oil also had the gas smell in it until I changed the O2 sensor. Just a thought since nothing is being thrown in your kettle.

rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #17
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

With 3000 miles on the oil gas smell is very common. It's honestly rather rare that we do an oil change at the shop and there isn't a little gas smell. If you live in town and do a lot of short trips it is going to happen even if the car is brand new. Now if it's got a distinct gas odor after like 1500 miles that's a problem.

The reason for the short trips thing is because if the engine and oil don't get up to full operational temp everytime you drive it then there is no time to burn off or evaporate any of the gas that gets into the oil. Under optimal conditions the gas evaporates and goes through the PCV to the intake and burns off.
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
With 3000 miles on the oil gas smell is very common. It's honestly rather rare that we do an oil change at the shop and there isn't a little gas smell. If you live in town and do a lot of short trips it is going to happen even if the car is brand new. Now if it's got a distinct gas odor after like 1500 miles that's a problem.

The reason for the short trips thing is because if the engine and oil don't get up to full operational temp everytime you drive it then there is no time to burn off or evaporate any of the gas that gets into the oil. Under optimal conditions the gas evaporates and goes through the PCV to the intake and burns off.
^this is very true, you can always tell on a UOA when somebody does alot of short trips becuase they have high fuel dilution. Also long idling will cause this.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

My 5.2 was loosing op, and gaining oil. I replaced all the injectors to fix it. I'm not gonna say this is for sure your problem. Mine also would act hydro locked after letting it sit a bit, so I knew it was injectors. You could have an o2 issue. I put 32lb injectors in a car needing 26lb once, it's oil stunk of gas in 30 miles, so the computer may be throwing to much fuel at it.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do you smell it on the dip stick or in the crank case?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Dipstick. I'm in Kentucky right now for Turkey day. Just seemed thin when I checked level. So I smelled and smelled of fuel. Those injectors are original equipment
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

My crank case smells a little like gas vapors but if you smell it on the dip stick then it's possibly a stuck open or leaky injector. Is the oil level higher than usual?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
wsar10
2003 WJ 

either way I would get that oil out of there asap, even if you replace it with just cheap dino it's better than tampered with viscosity and TBN.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #24
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

I have a bad Plenum gasket and she Burns half quart every 800-1000 miles

Tags
gas , oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.