small oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > small oil leak

Steinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-06-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
JAURS

small oil leak

I recently had the valve cover gaskets replaced on my 1996 Grand Cherokee (5.2L V8) as they were leaking oil. I just picked it up yesterday and they said they used grease on the covers or some type of cleaning solution which would turn into an oily substance when hot and drip slightly for a few days. However, I went to inspect where the leak was coming from and it doesn't appear to currently be related to what they were talking about. It's hard to explain where exactly the oil is dripping from, but I'll try and describe the location. Behind the oil pan (going away from the front end) there is a smooth flat metal box with bolts on the edge of it. Oil forms where theres is a small line at the beginning of the box. Behind this "box" is the transmission which appears completely dry. Attached near this "box" is a small cylinder which sort of resembles the starter on the engine (it's not the starter, it just resembles it) I don't know if this description will help anyone locate what component this small leak is coming from. The susbstance that is leaking looks and smells like engine oil, so I assume that it isn't the transmission pan or anything like that. I also plan to go off-roading with friends tomorrow so hopefully this small leak won't pose a problem. Thanks for any help with this problem.

JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.