Small Lift Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Small Lift Suggestions

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 10-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
zmat
1997 ZJ 

Small Lift Suggestions

Which company does everyone think provides the best 2" budget boost. I'm looking at rusty's right now because I would like like to replace the shocks and the price seems right.

Just looking for suggestions. Thanks.

zmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

members tend to like rough country, iron rock offroad, and some others, but those are the big two.
this one comes with shocks:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_zj_1.html
this one doesnt, but you have the option to add them to the kit:
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ
not a lot of people here go with rusty's lifts. none that i know of, at least
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
zmat
1997 ZJ 

thanks for the input
Unread 10-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
taythegibs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

On my last zj i went with the "Fat Bobs Garage" BB off of ebay, and i knew of several people that also ran it. i called the place directly and they were very helpful in answering my questions about their product. of course its been a couple of years now and things might be different.
taythegibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
zmat
1997 ZJ 

Is there a way to get 2" lift out of a spring swap. I suspect mine may be a little worn out.
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You can get up country coils 1" and put a spacer on them for either 2 or 3". Up country coils ride nice and firm. Email Nick at www.kolak@aol.com and tell him what you want to do. He sells everything at great prices.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
rory_a
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmat
Is there a way to get 2" lift out of a spring swap. I suspect mine may be a little worn out.
I ended up with roughly 2" front, 2.5" rear out of my f>r swap - the front springs that were on the car were h&r progressive 2" lowering springs, and brought the rear up 2.5-3", but as soon as I put a couple hundred pounds in the back I drops down to almost stock. The new front springs I thought were 3" zj fronts, but ended up 3" xj, so I only got about 2" or so on my 5.9.

So, 2" might be obtainable for other v8s by running xj fronts in he rear, xj 3" lif fronts in the front?
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmat View Post
Which company does everyone think provides the best 2" budget boost. I'm looking at rusty's right now because I would like like to replace the shocks and the price seems right.

Just looking for suggestions. Thanks.
I wouldn't give you $5 for a new set of Rusty's shocks. Garbage imo. Spend some time researching and buy some good shocks.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
XJ90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
I ended up with roughly 2" front, 2.5" rear out of my f>r swap - the front springs that were on the car were h&r progressive 2" lowering springs, and brought the rear up 2.5-3", but as soon as I put a couple hundred pounds in the back I drops down to almost stock. The new front springs I thought were 3" zj fronts, but ended up 3" xj, so I only got about 2" or so on my 5.9.

So, 2" might be obtainable for other v8s by running xj fronts in he rear, xj 3" lif fronts in the front?
hmm that is def interesting, does anyone know if the front xj springs will fit the rear of the zj?
XJ90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think they will since the front of the xj is the same as the zj. You should take into consideration the spring rate of these coils since the coils rates apply to the weight of the vehicle.
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
rory_a
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
I think they will since the front of the xj is the same as the zj. You should take into consideration the spring rate of these coils since the coils rates apply to the weight of the vehicle.
This. Also the reason I figure I didn't get as much height as I expected. I'm uneven, slightly higher in the back even with the lowered coils because of their progressive rates.

Also, my ride is super soft because of the low rates, and because I haven't yet hooked up the read sway and I'm running jks discos, it's less than confidence inspiring.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
XJ90
1998 ZJ 

i wonder how it would ride with the zj springs in the rear with nitro shocks? hmmm, i think i have a set of coil springs from my old xj sitting around...
XJ90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 99TJ View Post
I wouldn't give you $5 for a new set of Rusty's shocks. Garbage imo. Spend some time researching and buy some good shocks.
That goes for 99% of Rusty's stuff. Dangerous to use his track bars unless you can steer when it blows the threads out.
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
awmiller
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taythegibs View Post
On my last zj i went with the "Fat Bobs Garage" BB off of ebay, and i knew of several people that also ran it. i called the place directly and they were very helpful in answering my questions about their product. of course its been a couple of years now and things might be different.
I also have bought from fat Bobs, good guys, good product and of course good prices, i'd recommend them to anyone

heres there link:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/l...id=p4340.l2559
awmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
JrTjK
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That goes for 99% of Rusty's stuff.
His leaf springs are good quality, and his coils are a good bang for the buck. The basic shocks they include are the same cheapies every basic kit/brand come with, and he has options to upgrade...people are usually too cheap to pay for the upgrade.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.