Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

slipping auto trany

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  subzero32 
#1 ·
A couple of days ago I changed my automatic tranny fluid on my 98 Grand Cherokee ( 4X4, 158,000 miles) along with the filter and new gasket. Now my tranny slips really bad from a start and other gears and does not get better till its been driven for a while. I put fully synthetic fluid in and the level is fine. Anyone have advice?

#4 ·
subzero32 said:
Cant remember the brand right now, but It was dexron 4 synthetic. Could to much lubrication be a bad thing? I really don't think it ever is personally.
although i'm not a tranny expert, i don't think you should of used that type of fluid. chyrsler transmissions are very picky about the fluid you use, and when you use the wrong one they start shifting weird/slipping/etc.. you can't go wrong with atf+3, thats the first recommendation on the list in every manual for zj's.

#5 ·
This sucks to hear, but dexron is the wrong type of fluid. I am not sure if it will make a difference or not though for slipping. I would try and swap out the fluid to atf 3 or 4.

If that does not work, a rebuild after 160K miles is not out of line.

How was your tranny before the fluid swap?

Also this may sound stupid, but I have to ask.

How did you check your fluid? Did you do it with the engine running and in neutal? If you did not, and you checked your fluid with your engine off, with the dipstick read full, you are actually low.

#6 ·
Guess I'll try and change it to ATF +3 here soon. I did check the fluid level when the engine was running and in neutral, but i'll check it again here today just to make sure I didn't miss something. this is off the subject but does anyone know a good solution for yellow headlights? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm off to autozone i guess now. Thanks.

#8 ·
Yes do move the gearshift selector thru all gears as cmonson stated. This is because there are many feet of fluid tubing in the tranny. Each gear has a different plumbing circuit, so once drained it is recommended that these circuits get purged. Check it once the ATF fluid is at operating temperature or once the thermostat has opened up (wait for your temp gage to come up to normal operating temp.)

I would replace the AFT fluid with the correct type ... this can very well be the cause.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, I think its working properly now. I think when i initially checked the level after changing it the tranny fluid was not up to a high enough temp. I checked it earlier today after driving for a bit and it was low, after adding some more ATF4 i think its fine. I read in a haynes manual that it takes exactly 2 quarts of fluid, not true , it takes considerably more. Hopefully all will be smooth from here on out.

#10 ·
subzero32 said:
Guess I'll try and change it to ATF +3 here soon. I did check the fluid level when the engine was running and in neutral, but i'll check it again here today just to make sure I didn't miss something. this is off the subject but does anyone know a good solution for yellow headlights? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm off to autozone i guess now. Thanks.
get the valvoline atf +4 synthetic... its real good stuff. I just did my tranny fluid yesterday... made it drive like new.

I would get that other fluid out as fast as possible, its a lot less hassle to do the fluid again, rather then replace the tranny (it doesnt take much to kill a 42re....)

#11 ·
It turns out I did actually use Valvoline ATF +4 synthetic fluid. Now that the level is correct it drives very smooth. I did so many things on it the other day I forgot the brand of fluid. I also changed all rotors, pads, shocks, and oil in addition to the tranny fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.