Slip yoke eliminator problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Slip yoke eliminator problem?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
RjJeeps
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Slip yoke eliminator problem?

I just had an Omix- ADA ( Rugged Ridge ) SYE installed into my 99 231 transfer case by one of my local 4x4 shops. I brought the TC into the shop and after picking it up last week I noticed there's about 3/8" play between the front and rear yokes when rotating them, the stock case had very little play before they installed the SYE... Is this normal????

By the way the shop keeps putting me off as to a straight answer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

RjJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Play in the chain more than likely
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

I'm with speedbucket here, most likely play in your chain, although if it wasn't that way prior to taking it to them I can understand the reason for questioning. I thought my chain was stretched, ordered a new one, they're the same length so put my old one back in.

Now I can stick my finger into the tcase thru the drain plug and can physically lift the chain probably 1/4" maybe more, so I know it "bounces" slightly but it has never jumped or slipped and seems all is good. I've never had issues, so I'm gonna drive it like i stole it. Plenty of other things to worry about if this isn't broke.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
RjJeeps
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
I'm with speedbucket here, most likely play in your chain, although if it wasn't that way prior to taking it to them I can understand the reason for questioning. I thought my chain was stretched, ordered a new one, they're the same length so put my old one back in.

Now I can stick my finger into the tcase thru the drain plug and can physically lift the chain probably 1/4" maybe more, so I know it "bounces" slightly but it has never jumped or slipped and seems all is good. I've never had issues, so I'm gonna drive it like i stole it. Plenty of other things to worry about if this isn't broke.
Ya that was our first thought, slack or play in the chain but the TC was brought to the shop with with very little slack, thats his concern..
RjJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjJeeps View Post
Ya that was our first thought, slack or play in the chain but the TC was brought to the shop with with very little slack, thats his concern..
The shaft/bearings centerline does not change with a sye, so if it is different then the tooth depth may have been slightly different from the factory one to the new one, or they didn't put the same chain back on
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I bet it was loose when you took it in and you never paid attention. Or else they swapped chains
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I've seen brand new chains with more play than that.

You also have to account for the machining of the interface splines on the new shaft.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.