Slightly lifting a ZJ that is used for towing. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Slightly lifting a ZJ that is used for towing.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #16
Wookie06
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
If you want to lift a Grand and make it perform, you're going to spend some cash. You can do it cheaply, however, unless you know exactly what you're doing, it'll ride cheaply too.

Mine is very similar to yours except that I'm at 6.5. Our max tow rating is 6.5K. I'll be towing a trailer from Omaha NE to Tx in the next two weeks.

Hunter
Should have covered this in my last post. Okay so basically we have similar setups, vehicle and trailer wise, you have already done what I'm considering, and you know how it performs. Which RE lift are you running? Did you tow with your vehicle stock and, if so, how would you compare stock to lifted? Have you regeared your rig? Have you made any other changes to improve towing performance?

Wookie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #17
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

6.5 lift (RE 4.5 lift with 2 inch spacers), Super 35 with Detroit, True Trac, Turbo City dual air inlet, Mopar Performance ECU, Magna flow exhaust, Kevin's rock sliders (LP version), 33 Bridgestone ATs for the street on Eagle 589s, 33 Savero Radial GT Mts on black steelies for fun, addco front and rear, Thule roof rack, protofab rear bumper w/ tire carrier, skids, 4.56s for gears, and ARB front bumper with IPF lights.

That's my setup right now.

I've towed like this:

and now like this:

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #18
Wookie06
1996 ZJ 

Awesome looking Jeep! I don't plan on going nearly as tall, though. How would you compare the ride when towing now with when it was stock?

Two train of thoughts here seem to be:

I don't need to buy a kit, just some parts.

I should buy a quality kit that comes with all new parts.

I can see the benfit to buying a kit with all new components all the way around but if the front to rear swap is reliable I can see why people would suggest it. My personal view at this point is the higher quality of all after market parts compared to stock when it comes to things such as strength lead me to believe that a ket might be the right way to go. Reliability with the added strain of towing is my primary concern. It should be noted that I rarely tow my trailer but I do intend to do so more often.

Here's a picture of us with the RV at Pismo, CA:

http://webpages.charter.net/wookie06/images/Cars/rv.jpg
Unread 07-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #19
nierace
2003 WJ 

You should really check out the lifted pictures thread to see exactly what you're looking for if you haven't already. It seems like you probably wont be going crazy off road and dont really need a serious lift, you might just be content with a little BB lift and 245/75's to give it a beefier look, and this would have less of a negative effect on your towing...
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #20
Wookie06
1996 ZJ 

Yes, I was just checking out the first few pages as well as looking over the KevinsOffroad page. Forgive my ignorance but what is a BB lift?

edit - nevermind, budget boost.
Unread 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #21
Wookie06
1996 ZJ 

My time to research online is fairly limited (goes back to the fact that I'm in the Army and in Iraq) but so far it seems to me that the best options I have are to go the budget boost route or get a quality kit.

I'm thinking the pros and cons are the following:

Budget Boost:
pro - least expensive, possibly (I have to replace rear control arms no matter what, well, at least one but I want to upgrade from stock so that is two)
con - may result in lowest ride quality

Kevin's Offroad kit - http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/zj_35kit.html
pro - seemed to be designed to offer the best value and performance, by a Jeeper for Jeepers
con - rear control arms are extra, which I need, and his option is pricey

Rubicon Express Kit - http://www.rubiconusa.com/store/prod...05&folderid=65
pro - seems to include all the parts I need
con - not sure what the cons are to this kit other than maybe some of the general things Kevin's Offroad says about kits in general

Previous posts have steered me away from the Tuff Country Kit and towards the RE kit. I'm thinking that at a cost of about $700 (I haven't looked around enough to see if the kit is available for less elsewhere) the RE 3.5" superride kit may be the route for me.

I had a couple of lingering questions still:
Hunter - How would you compare the handling of your ZJ from stock to now, especially when towing? (granted yours is a bit taller than I will go anytime soon)
Anyone - Should I look at getting hardware to adjust the position of my transmission/transfercase when I lift this, especially considering I want to retain (and, hopefully, improve) good towing ability?
Unread 07-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #22
RealJeep

my roomate has the 3.5 RE super ride and it rides well. the kit includes everything you need (minus shocks). he actually bought the lift as a combo and got shcoks for free. and with that lift you can run 31's which you wont have to worry about regearing.
1992 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L HO, Dynomax exhaust, Kc daylighters, 4" pro comp suspension lift, 33x12.50 BFG MT's, 15x10 rockcrawlers, hurst shifter, Off-road bumpers, SYE, 2-10's, MM 8000 Winch, ARB Snorkel, MORE Boomerangs, CB
RealJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.