slept in a ZJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > slept in a ZJ?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
Inavacuum

Personally I move around a lot and I've only slept in my ZJ once. I was alone and had to lay diagonally. If there had been someone else and diagonally wasn't an option it would've been a long night.

Make an offer on anything you're interested in.
Inavacuum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #17
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

My gf and I used to do this all time in our old ZJ several years ago.

Some tricks we did:

- Remove the bottom part of the rear seats. Tumble them forward half-way then they slide out. Leave them at home.

- Slide the front seats all the way forward. Put some gear behind them to level out your bed.

- Put delicate gear on the front seats.

- Non-delicate gear goes underneath the Jeep to stay dew and frost-free.

- In the summer during bug-season, we'd tape window screen around the back windows, then use fridge magnets to hold it tight along the bottom.

- Turn the ignition key backwards and now you can open and close the rear windows with your toe.

- We plugged a 12V fan into the front cigarette lighter and clipped it to the "Watch-this" handles above the back doors. (for summer it kept inside nice and cool).

- On occasion we'd bring a laptop and prop it up between the front seats to watch a DVD. For sound we had an FM transmitter going to the Jeep's stereo of which had a remote control to adjust the volume.

Overall that was one hell of a comfortable and luxurious night's sleep. On below-freezing nights we'd let the Jeep idle for hours with the heat on while watching a movie. I'm 6'1" and had plenty of room. Side-by-side we're not big people and had enough room with the spare tire removed.

Dang, now I wanna go for a fancy adventure in the Dub. But February in Sudbury goes just a tad colder than the 30s.

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

So just to mention again, the trick is to remove the back-seat bottoms (the part you sit on), to gain more than an extra foot of space. Then fill in the void with whatever you can.

Oh, we also always put in a twin-sized air mattress. Fit perfectly. However, air mattresses get cold as **** in cold temps so those nights we laid on top one of those egg-carton shaped foam mattress covers and it worked well.

CZJ.

-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek View Post
i also let the jeep run all night and left the radio on. also worked wonderful....
Y'all better be seriously careful letting the Jeep run while sleeping like that. CO is a silent killer

I'm 6' 4" and have changed clothes in the back of my Jeep before. Not horrible, but it's tight enough that I'd definitely want to re-situate to where I could stretch out before I tried sleeping there. I would look up Theksmith's write-up about quick-remove rear seats to get those out of the way and stack gear as suggested. That would probably give the extra space required.

Anyway, the best thing you can do is just grab whatever you plan to sleep on and try it out to find a good combination. If you're really ambitious, spend the night in your driveway, in your Jeep, so your neighbors will truly think you've lost it.
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #20
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

I always laid down with my head towards the rear of the ZJ. The back of the rear seats are ridgy and hurt my back (even with a blanket down). The ridges didn't bother my legs.

So quick question - which has more rear space? ZJ or WJ? I never tried laying down in my WJ.

One thing I don't like about the WJ though is how theres a space when you lay the seats down flat. My ZJ laid down nice and snug.

Funny this thead came up - my GF and I were just playing with the idea today of camping over night in my Jeep while we're in upstate PA the beginning March - save money from a hotel room.

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #21
trailblaze
2004 WJ 

ahh heck i slept many nights in the back of a 2 dr XJ. the WJ looks like a Days INN to me
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My ZJ is FUN to sleep in the back, but when the temps are sub 30's, you can start feeling the cold within minutes of turning the key off (maybe my ZJ just has bad insulation?). Dont leave your ZJ on all night, that is not smart, CO is deadly.

I did not know about that trick with removing the back seat bottoms, that is tricky as heck! Bring air mattresses, those make the most sense to me because the ZJ carpet isn't all that back-friendly

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #23
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
So quick question - which has more rear space? ZJ or WJ? I never tried laying down in my WJ...

I'd imagine they're pretty close to the same with one big difference. The ZJ seat bottom is removable whereas the WJ's is not (but can be done with modding). That adds over a foot of legroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
...Dont leave your ZJ on all night, that is not smart, CO is deadly...
You're fine if you leave a window or two open halfway with heater on high. Air supply will continuously be exchanged (provided it's not on recirc), white noise helps some sleep, and it virtually eliminates the chances of the truck somehow overheating. That said, I've never let it run overnight anyway. (Used to be an avid Canadian winter overnight-backpacker so sleeping in a truck at -10 is pretty wussy ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I did not know about that trick with removing the back seat bottoms, that is tricky as heck! Bring air mattresses, those make the most sense to me because the ZJ carpet isn't all that back-friendly

45 angle is the key. And about the air mattress.. make sure it's inflated very firm and has no leaks. If not, you'll both be pressed together and regardless of how lovey-dovey you two are or how hot she is, by 5am you'll be rolling her out the back door mafia style.

CZJ.

Unread 02-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #24
ZgreatJ
Rain Man

I've slept in the front passenger seat already. But that was after a case of beer and getting lost in the middle of the woods while relieving myself at night without my glasses. Wearing only a tee and boxers I stumbled around for a while until I found my Jeep and crashed until morning. Boy what a night that was.
RIG#1 96 Forest Green ZJ Laredo-4.0 I6 242
GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #136
Kevin's 4.5 lift-Kevin's Rock Sliderz-Custom 4X4 Fab Front Winch Bumper-T Max EWI 10000 winch-32X10.50-15 Super Swamper TSL Radials on US Wheel 15X8 Black Steelies-OME SS-Rusty's steering conversion-SOLD
Currently- 98 ZJ Limited-99 XJ Classic-Both stock for now
ZgreatJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #25
Jones
Consider the following...

I've slept in the back with no padding and just a sweatshirt for a pillow to avoid certain charges that would ruin my life.
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #26
MineRunnerZJ
1998 ZJ 

GF and I have "camped" in the back many times...
I'm 6'5'' and 270. Feet towards the front seats are key. but can be done with a couple thermarests and a niiice double sleeping bag!

SOLD - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Some go fast goodies, JK Moabs 255/75R17 BFG M/Ts, MX-6s, 4'' RE Lift - Super Ride Adj. control arms, Addco's, JKS trackbars/discos..... Kolak Exhaust/Ignition, SCT tuned!
ARB Bull Bar
SOLD - 99 TJ 4.0L AX15 -
6" Rubicon Express Springs/Disco's, Clayton's Long Arm w/ triangulated 4 link, Ford 8.8 4.56 gears. JB SS SYE, Tom Woods Driveshafts. Poison Spider Rocker Knockers
K&N Intake, Flowmaster Cat and 50 series, Custom Front/Rear Bumpers with Warn XD9000i.
Rollin on 35" BFG A/T's
SOLD - 93 ZJ 4'' RE lift, 32 BFG MT tons of other goodies!

[B]NoVA Jeepers[/B]
MineRunnerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #27
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

If I ever planned to sleep in a Jeep overnight with it running, it would need a hand throttle to keep it at 1000-1200 rpm, a CO detector in the back, hooked to the ignition switch, and a nice, loud alarm wired for low oil pressure and high coolant temp.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #28
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseewj View Post
Y'all better be seriously careful letting the

If you're really ambitious, spend the night in your driveway, in your Jeep, so your neighbors will truly think you've lost it.
I own TWO jeeps that constantly need repaired. My wife drives a Toyota Avalon that has had nothing but routine maintenance for 135K miles. When I told me neighbor our plans for this weekend he said, "Funny, I always thought crazy wasn't a communicable disease. But your wife has obviously caught something from you."

Thanks for the tips guys. Going to pull out the seat bottom today at lunch and give it a "test nap".
Tony89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #29
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well I went out at lunch and tried it out and it will be plenty comfortable. Taking the seat bottoms out is a huge amount of extra space that I would have never thought about on my own. Thanks jeepforum
Tony89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #30
JeepeBago
1996 ZJ 

I had a 1985 2dr Cherokee which I camped in plenty of times. I used to call it my Jeepebago (Winnebago)
A good trick in the nice weather is to hang strips of materials in the open windows. It scares flies away.
I also made screens for the windows that attached with velcro. Worked great.
Also, a candle in the cupholders an hour before bedtime always took away the dew. Don't leave the Jeep unattended with a candle burning, obviously.
I met my wife when I had that Jeep, and we camped in it a few times, no problem.

I found it plenty comfortable in a 2dr, and I agree, with my seats folded down, my ZJ looks HUGE for camping. I can't wait 'til nice weather to give it a go.
It's nice to pull up to the campsite, greet your friends, pull out the cooler and you're on your way.

Adam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.