JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   slept in a ZJ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/slept-zj-696438/)

Tony89 02-16-2009 03:06 PM

slept in a ZJ?

not sure if this is tech but being model-specific i decided to post it here. mods, please move it if you think it should be.

any tall guys (i'm 6'4" for reference) ever slept in the back of a ZJ with the backseat folded forward for a night? group of us are going camping this weekend. really just more of a wheeling trip and we are spending the night on the grounds. instead of dealing with packing and setting up my 8-person tent for ONE night i've toyed with the idea of just sleeping in the back of the ZJ.

from the searches i did it seems OK as long as you have something padded to lay on. but most of the people that posted about it didn't say how tall they were. my wife tells me i roll around alot in my sleep, so i'm worried about not being able to move around at all back there. or if i do move i may end up on top of her (which is certainly not a big deal to me :D). lows for the night are supposed to be lower 30s so bugs won't be an issue if i were to leave the rear hatch open.

any experience, advice, suggestions?

Unka-Boo 02-16-2009 03:09 PM

Go out in the driveway, fold the seat down, and try it out.........

Yardman Harry 02-16-2009 03:10 PM

I have slept in the back just like that. Im 6'1" maybe 6'2" not sure...

anyway, my wife and I slept back there, It was tight for the two of us, I wished she wasnt there so that I could sleep diagonal. I thought I didnt need to stretch my legs out, well not even half way through the night they started cramping and such.

Other than that, definitely bring padding, and if there are going to be street lamps or outside lights, something to block the windows like curtains. :D

Harry

fivespeedsteed 02-16-2009 03:21 PM

lower thirties you dont wanna be leaving your hatch open. ive slept outside when its low thirties, high twenties, and that was no bueno. take a nice sleeping bag. keep warm. its miserable trying to fall asleep frezzing cold.

i was outside once, and stayed in a tent, woke up so cold i slept in my drivers seat the rest (2 more hours ) of the night. it was better, but still freezing.

ISUzj 02-16-2009 03:40 PM

I am 6'1" and it works, though a peice a carpet on the bottom helps the ridges from the seats, but for the most part, no prob.

j4henry 02-16-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony89 (Post 6594226)
not sure if this is tech but being model-specific i decided to post it here. mods, please move it if you think it should be.

any tall guys (i'm 6'4" for reference) ever slept in the back of a ZJ with the backseat folded forward for a night? group of us are going camping this weekend. really just more of a wheeling trip and we are spending the night on the grounds. instead of dealing with packing and setting up my 8-person tent for ONE night i've toyed with the idea of just sleeping in the back of the ZJ.

from the searches i did it seems OK as long as you have something padded to lay on. but most of the people that posted about it didn't say how tall they were. my wife tells me i roll around alot in my sleep, so i'm worried about not being able to move around at all back there. or if i do move i may end up on top of her (which is certainly not a big deal to me :D). lows for the night are supposed to be lower 30s so bugs won't be an issue if i were to leave the rear hatch open.

any experience, advice, suggestions?

I'm 6'4" 250lbs and I sleep in the back of my zj quite frequently not that bad good sleeping bag and pillow. If it cold a small heater run off of an inverter will fix that problem.

sp9861 02-16-2009 04:20 PM

Id say just crack the windows slightly. My ZJ has a stuffy feeling if my windows are up, maybe its just mental though.

ZJcrawler45 02-16-2009 04:44 PM

im 6foot and slept in the back of my zj once at my buddies fiesta out in a field. I slept diagonal so i could stretch out. There were about 50 people all set up in tents. By the time i woke up at 10am everyone was gone. That was the best night sleep i've ever gotten out of my bed!

rallyjeep_11 02-16-2009 04:46 PM

ha. trust me theres room for 2 back there :2thumbsup:

CaribouLouWJ 02-16-2009 04:46 PM

Make sure to pull the bottom of the back seats out, then I put down a few thick blankets, then a air mattress. works amazing.

spife7980 02-16-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp9861 (Post 6594725)
Id say just crack the windows slightly. My ZJ has a stuffy feeling if my windows are up, maybe its just mental though.

i get that same feeling. when i go to work i just change to my messy clothes in the back and i have to leave the door cracked otherwise i get all huffy. and im no where near claustrophobic but it gets to me.

F4D 02-16-2009 05:21 PM

Just don't forget to run the front seats all the way forward. You need all the room you can get.

vansskaterfreek 02-16-2009 07:05 PM

ive slept in my zj quite comfortably with my girlfriend.... a few blankets worked great.... i also let the jeep run all night and left the radio on. also worked wonderful....

UofOJeeper 02-16-2009 07:08 PM

One time when I was driving the sister's ZJ, my girlfriend and i got in the back seat... wait that wasn't the question

yes you can fit fine..

comptiger5000 02-16-2009 07:13 PM

Personally, I wouldn't want to run it all night, at least not without a CO alarm and hand throttle (for high idle), and even then, I'd rather a second big deep cycle battery, inverter and heater.

The time now is 11:20 AM.