Slamed on brakes now no brakes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Slamed on brakes now no brakes?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
94ZJLaredo
1994 ZJ 

Slamed on brakes now no brakes?

Ok i was on my way home and i was comming up to an unexpected yellow light so i slammed on the brakes. on the way home i knowticed my brakes went to the floor so i took it easy. finally getting home i opened the hood and discovered i had no fluid in front part of the BF container and full in the other. the rear brakes are new, the front needs replaceing soon. the container is now full on both ends but i still have no brakes and i pumped the brakes constantly but the fluid goes nowhere and all lines are new and tight i have a 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo, has the 249 Tcase, Automatic and a 178,000mile straight 6 just for info.

94ZJLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Sounds like you blew something, either a line or a caliper. Check them for leaks.
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Dillonzj
1998 ZJ 

sounds like you need to bleed your brakes

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...

MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ZJLaredo View Post
Ok i was on my way home and i was comming up to an unexpected yellow light so i slammed on the brakes. on the way home i knowticed my brakes went to the floor so i took it easy. finally getting home i opened the hood and discovered i had no fluid in front part of the BF container and full in the other. the rear brakes are new, the front needs replaceing soon. the container is now full on both ends but i still have no brakes and i pumped the brakes constantly but the fluid goes nowhere and all lines are new and tight i have a 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo, has the 249 Tcase, Automatic and a 178,000mile straight 6 just for info.
Check inside the brake booster behind the master cylinder, see if there's fluid in there. You might have blown out the seal on the back of the master cylinder, which also would have introduced air into the brake lines.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonzj View Post
sounds like you need to bleed your brakes
Agreed... also, check for leaks a previously stated, then bleed your brakes.

Harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
94ZJLaredo
1994 ZJ 

will do. thanks for the info.
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check your rear brakes. Sounds like you blew a seal or line somewhere. If I'm not mistaken the front part of the resivour is for the rear and the back for the front. Whichever is the larger part that is for the rear. I did the exact same thing awhile back in my truck and even after I put fluid back in you have to crack the line to get the fluid to flow again. Start at the wheel closest to the master cyl and work to the farthest last. It helps to have a buddy around to help.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
94ZJLaredo
1994 ZJ 

well its 8.04PM here, dark and i really dont feel like going out LOL tomorrow morning i'll look into it. i hope i dident blow out anything. i just spent roughly 75 bucks on fixin the rear brakes and replaceing studs and lugs along with all the hardware for the rear brake assembly. "springs, adjusters, ect." I HATE BRAKES!!! but i love jeeps LOL. sorry rough day

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.