Sitting on the side of the road: start, drives, 100feet, stalls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sitting on the side of the road: start, drives, 100feet, stalls

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sitting on the side of the road: start, drives, 100feet, stalls

I'm currently sitting on the side of the road. Searching hasn't given me to much info.

Anyways 98 5.9 magnum limited edition ZJ.

So I've been having a miss fire on cylinder 7. Replaced the injectors and it went away. Misfire came back 2 weeks later and I decided to replace the number 7 plug. I replaced the plug and checked the gap.

Started driving and it stalled about 2 miles from my house. Pulled over and tried to start. It seemed like it wasn't getting gas. Let it sit for a few minutes.

Few minutes later tried to start and it started after some gas pedal persuasion. Drop 200 feet and it stall again. Waited and drove another mile or so.

I've replaced the whole ignition system except injector wires.

Was thinking gas pump. Saw a post that involved a new computer. Any ideas?

Iac was replaced not to long ago
Computer reset done also

Unread 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Checking the fuel pressure is a definite plus , always nice to know where things stand .

Assuming you have a new coil on there , I would suspect the CPS .

Bumped for more replies
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
SKorch630
1997 ZJ 

Whats your fuel pump/filter situation look like? I had a mishap in my audi last winter @ -20* F where my fuel pump and filter was clogged. Start > drive > stall > start > drive 100 ft > stall. Etc. Check those.
SKorch630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'll be testing the fuel pressure here sometime today but I came across an interesting thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...rokee-1112078/

The OP has the same issues I'm having. It rain the day before and it was still a little wet/humid out. Stalling, CEL on and off. I'll play with the PCM connector tomorrow as well and see what I come up with.

more to come
Unread 08-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
dean477
1998 ZJ 

I just won the battle with this, Pcm connector for me. Couldnt find a pattern in why it was stalling. The first time i checked the connectors it seemed to check out so i crossed that off the list. Read somebody's post on here recently that said 12 things to do/check when your zj stalled and decided to check them again....sure enough it stalled out after a few wiggles.

Test the sensor before replacing it

Best of luck

EDIT http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
dean477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I got this fixed awhile ago but I wanted to add more information to this thread.

After playing around driving it on the highway. I got a code to stick. I had my code reader already hooked up and it came up with a P0505.

Possible causes were IAC or PCM.

Luckily for me it was the IAC. Went and grabbed a rebranded Wells IAC from autozone while I wait for a mopar IAC to come in the mail.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.