JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Silly tire question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/silly-tire-question-1542030/)

Dubfire98 06-27-2013 11:08 AM

Silly tire question

Ok so my current setup is a 96 laredo 5.2, np249 auto, RC 4" lift with the works. Nice lift with all the bells and whistles along with a tough gas skid to boot. Ive been running 33 12.50 15 mastercraft coursers now until its that time we all love about maintaining a vehicle. My primary use for this rig is mainly interstate DD, towing a small boat, and sometimes getting to good hunting ground. The 33s im running now are nearly bald and only rub the front bumper at full lock. My big question for guys that have tried this is: do you think i can fit a brand new set of 35s under it and be ok? Or you think i need to install a 2" spacer kit along with extended sb links, etc? My tb isnt adjustable although as mentioned before its already lifted 4" with the RC lift. Any ideas would be greatly aprreciated!

OldManTan 06-27-2013 11:15 AM

how much do you want to cut?
lol
have seen 35's on a 2" BB with a sht ton of trimming

tucsonzj 06-27-2013 11:23 AM

Your track bar has nothing to do with your tires rubbing. 35's will probably rub pretty good if your 33's are bald and rubbing at full lock. You can run 35's with trimming your fender(s).

WhiteOut 06-27-2013 11:26 AM

Toss them on, you'll be fine.

PolkaPower 06-27-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tucsonzj (Post 15613953)
Your track bar has nothing to do with your tires rubbing. 35's will probably rub pretty good if your 33's are bald and rubbing at full lock. You can run 35's with trimming your fender(s).

Actually without an adj track bar the axle will be pushed out to the drivers side in the front and cause more tire rub on the passenger side control arm when turning since the that tire will be stuffed into the wheel well. Also the sway bar will be pushed over and the end links will look like the leaning tower of pizza / /.

You need to cut or lift it more. All adj control arms and adjustable track bars would be needed plus a re gear. All and all a fruitless idea for no reason other than "look at my big tires".

tucsonzj 06-27-2013 11:37 AM

I was considering editing my post to say similar to that polka, but felt lazy lol.

OldManTan 06-27-2013 11:41 AM

a functional/done right ZJ on 35's is plain badass-ness though :p

Dubfire98 06-27-2013 12:37 PM

I know that the track bar has nothing to do with tire rub. I was meaning it in reference to being lifted 6". 4" RC lift with the added 2" spacers and being able to keep everything inline. I almost believe I could get away with adding the 2" spacers, adjustable sb links, and possibly a Xcase drop kit. And with the 12.50s im not rubbing anything but the outer plastic on the bumper which could be trimmed as needed. As far as "hey look at my big tires..." ive got a monster 79' gmc lifted 10" with 39" ground hogs. Lol. Oh and on a side note, im getting about 13mpg average with the 33s on the zj. I expect it to drop if the 35s go in.

WhiteOut 06-27-2013 12:42 PM

So we've gone from "bells and whistles (without all needed parts)" to "hacked and ****ed".

Dubfire98 06-27-2013 12:46 PM

Lol idk bout hacked and ****** but as of the moment everything ive done to my jeep is done right. Minus the tard PO cutting the exhaust off behind the cat but thats on my todo list haha. I just wanted to know if the 35s would fit with minimal "additions" because i could gain an extra 2" roughly for those weekends in the fall when i wheel to hunting land.

WhiteOut 06-27-2013 12:47 PM

Which RC kit do you have? And what extras?

Here is the list of stuff you need to run 6" of lift on a ZJ.

- All 8 adjustable control arms (longarms almost mandatory)
- Extended sway bar links front and rear
- Shocks for 6" of lift
- New front driveshaft (if you havent swapped for u-joint yet)
- Front and rear adjustable trackbars
- You'll want wheels with 3.75" BS
- Proper length bumpstops
- Fender trimming
- Trim or remove front bumper

Never need a transfer case drop or drop pitman arm. Can't use drop or relocation brackets for trackbars

tucsonzj 06-27-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubfire98 (Post 15614293)
I know that the track bar has nothing to do with tire rub. I was meaning it in reference to being lifted 6". 4" RC lift with the added 2" spacers and being able to keep everything inline. I almost believe I could get away with adding the 2" spacers, adjustable sb links, and possibly a Xcase drop kit. And with the 12.50s im not rubbing anything but the outer plastic on the bumper which could be trimmed as needed. As far as "hey look at my big tires..." ive got a monster 79' gmc lifted 10" with 39" ground hogs. Lol. Oh and on a side note, im getting about 13mpg average with the 33s on the zj. I expect it to drop if the 35s go in.

No, just no. Except the mpg's that will go down yes. Above 4.5 you'll need all new ca's, possible drive shaft change, don't ever use a t-case drop with a zj is what I've been told and agree with. If you're looking to get bigger tires so you can really wheel it (not sure if 33's to 35's will change that in this case) then trim the s*** out of your fenders for more clearance.

tucsonzj 06-27-2013 12:53 PM

Not to mention regear

PolkaPower 06-27-2013 12:59 PM

33's to 35's is such a small difference. You would be much better off getting a locker.

JohnnyZJ 06-27-2013 12:59 PM

never heard the term 'bells and whistles' used in the same sentence as 'rough country'

made my day thank you good sir

The time now is 06:58 AM.