Silencer - Kill Switch inoperable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Silencer - Kill Switch inoperable

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-12-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
oilcounter

Silencer - Kill Switch inoperable

I have one for you..

I have a 2000 JCG laredo and the stealership threw in their SILENCER kill switch. This has a female unit under the dash that accepts a male "pin" in order to activate the starter.

For the longest time I have just left this pin in the hole (out of convienience) Last night I decided it would be best to take ths pin with me when I leave my car in the Mall parking lot. Usually there would be a red light to indicate that the kill switch was activated when the pin is removed. Now it does nothing.

I'm pretty sure the kill switch ISN"T protecting a darn thing now....

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to check? I'm not too good with electrical stuff, but thought if there was something easy to check before I attempted to let the dealer look at it..

Thanks

Rob

Metallic Taupe Jeep Club Member #15
oilcounter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

My Jeep had one of those in it. It didn't work right, and kept the cruise control from working, so I took it out and threw it away. Everything has been great since then.
There should not be any fuse in the circuit (if it blew, your Jeep wouldn't start). Other than checking the splices to see if one has come unplugged, the only other thing would be the control module. It should be zip-tied up under the dash, but low enough to reach. If you start at the socket and light unit and follow the wires back, they'll lead right to the module. IIRC, there are two plugs on it. One may have come undone.

HTH
Unread 12-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
oilcounter

Thanks Warren;

I looked under there and tried to follow the wide wire upwards (toward the steering column). It's tucked up there pretty far.. I'll have to remove some plastic dash board pieces to see the module..

I think WJJEEPS.com has diagrams for removal of stuff like this..

-Rob
Metallic Taupe Jeep Club Member #15
oilcounter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.