Sign of a Bad Wheel Bearing or Ring and Pinion Bearing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sign of a Bad Wheel Bearing or Ring and Pinion Bearing?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Sign of a Bad Wheel Bearing or Ring and Pinion Bearing?

Just this morning drivng home from work, in the back of the car where the rear hatch is I can hear a noise back there. Hard to describe how it sounds. It isn't loud by any means, but obviously I heard it.

So what are the signs of wheel bearing or ring and pinion bearing goign out?

Thanks

torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

You will notice a somewhat loud hum from the rear of the jeep when driving at highway speeds, the noise will go away when you let off the accerator and return soon as you step on it again.

If wheel bearing were going bad, i think you would hear some type of squeek as the wheel rotates.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
You will notice a somewhat loud hum from the rear of the jeep when driving at highway speeds, the noise will go away when you let off the accerator and return soon as you step on it again.

If wheel bearing were going bad, i think you would hear some type of squeek as the wheel rotates.
Its necessarily a humming sound that I hear... Almost sounds like road nose like you said coming from the rear of the Jeep..

The noise is present at 35 mph till 65 mph (thats as fast as I go on the hwy).

When I let of the gas and jsut coast you can still hear the noise coming from the rear. Also today while I was driving on a back road, I was going about 40 mph, put the Jeep in Neutral turned the car off (as I was going 40) and you could still hear it..

So wheel bearing or ring and pinion bearing???? But what ever the part that is causing the noise is definitely a rotating noise
Unread 02-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

it could even be a worn universal in the driveshaft. just get under their and check it out
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

all you need is a jack and a stethoscope or a broom handle and the jack under your rear seat...
Hexonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

When my rear wheel bearings were toast it made a "whirring" sound directly related to wheel speed
MurdaJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
RobinsonFam1
1998 ZJ 

pinion bearing makes noise and vibes on decelleration (letting off gas, not braking). i just went through that myself. if its constant i would suspect wheel bearing. u joint possible but from the description i lean towards wheel bearing.
RobinsonFam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonFam1 View Post
pinion bearing makes noise and vibes on decelleration (letting off gas, not braking). i just went through that myself. if its constant i would suspect wheel bearing. u joint possible but from the description i lean towards wheel bearing.
The more I think about it, the more it sounds like a wheel bearing. I do know that it is definitely coming from the rear. And when I let off the gas, the noise is still present.
Unread 02-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
When my rear wheel bearings were toast it made a "whirring" sound directly related to wheel speed
Yea, my front wheel bearing sounded the same way. Maybe had a little bit of a groaning noise in there, too.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Barrishautomoti
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Did you ever find out what was making the noise in your Jeep? I have a 97 ZJ which is making the same kind of noises in the rear. Just trying to find out what needs to be replaced.
Barrishautomoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrishautomoti View Post
Did you ever find out what was making the noise in your Jeep? I have a 97 ZJ which is making the same kind of noises in the rear. Just trying to find out what needs to be replaced.
No I didn't... The noise seems to be intermittent....
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
RobinsonFam1
1998 ZJ 

i fianlly figured out the last of my driveline noises.....the spiders are shot and so is the pin that retains them in place.

the spiders are causing a vibration at all speeds as a wheel bearing would but more of a vibe than a sound.

the pin beaing worn is causing a clacking sound in the rear that is noticeable when the driveline is slack.

so parts came in yesterday and it goes back to he shop on Thursday...ugh

maybe this may help....?!??!?
RobinsonFam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Dumb question here, but you're sure it's not the tires? Tire noise would sound like it's coming from the rear even if all four tires are howling because the rear wheels are right under the passenger compartment.
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Torchd - did you ever figure this out?
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
torchd
1998 ZJ 

I haven't figured it out yet... But now I have a sound that is still in the rear area still that sounds like road noise. Like tires that are mud tires but not that loud....

Any ideas what that could be?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.