Side Mirror Funk - What's Up and Parasitic Drain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Side Mirror Funk - What's Up and Parasitic Drain?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Mity White 96
1996 ZJ 

Side Mirror Funk - What's Up and Parasitic Drain?

Recently I've been plagued with battery drain (OK, the battery was over 5 years old anyway) and then just noticed I've got something weird going on with my driver's side mirror. Upon closer inspection I found the plastic circular seal is separated in the upper left side and there's some kind of crud that's ouzzed out from that area near the seal. Clearly there's some kind of issue with the image separation in the mirror. FYI- moving the mirror up and down and side to side seems to work just fine.

This has got me to wondering several things.
1. What's gone wrong with the mirror?
2. How to repair the damage?
3. Can this damage be also causing some parasitic drain to my battery? If so, then how to address and correct that?

All new Sears Platinum AGM battery installed but want to repair the mirror and make sure no drain is taking place coming from the mirror. Would love to hear observations and recommendations.

Thanks

img_1441.jpg  
Mity White 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Mine is the same way, but I have no battery drain.

Is yours an auto dimming mirror? I can't remember if mine is or not. It might be the fluid that does that.

It also might be the fluid the mirror defroster uses.

You can see it's a liquid if you pres on the glass. The bubble moves.

Regardless, it's not the cause of your battery drain.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Coloration is caused by auto-dim feature failing. Need to replace glass.

Dimming is powered by rear view mirror which should not have power with key OFF.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Mity White 96
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses! It's a heated mirror (I can see the heated symbol in lower right side if I look closely.) so it must indeed be the mirror fluid that's leaking and forming the bubble. The inside mirror is auto dimming but I don't know whether the outside driver's mirror is auto dimming or not. In any case, it appears that a break in the rubber seal has permitted the fluid to escape and form some crud in and around the break.

Greatly relieved to hear that there's no way this mirror failure can be associated with a parasitic power drain. Common sense would suggest no connection but sometimes these items can be more complex than imagined.

Now what's the best source for a replacement glass?
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
PopperM5
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mity White 96 View Post
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses! It's a heated mirror (I can see the heated symbol in lower right side if I look closely.) so it must indeed be the mirror fluid that's leaking and forming the bubble. The inside mirror is auto dimming but I don't know whether the outside driver's mirror is auto dimming or not. In any case, it appears that a break in the rubber seal has permitted the fluid to escape and form some crud in and around the break.

Greatly relieved to hear that there's no way this mirror failure can be associated with a parasitic power drain. Common sense would suggest no connection but sometimes these items can be more complex than imagined.

I had Scott Wheeler at Radar-Mirror replace the auto-dimming glass in my BMW and the turn around time was about a week. But this may be for the interior only but I would call and verify. Here's the link.

http://www.radar-mirror.com/Mirror_Repair.html
PopperM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mity White 96 View Post
Junkyard.

More info... HERE
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Didn't know there was a place that fixed them. Thanks for the link Popper.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Mity White 96
1996 ZJ 

Love that "Pick and Pull"!

Local junk yard showed on their online site that four Grand Cherokees recently arrived on their lot. I dropped by for my first time ever visit at an Oakland CA Pick and Pull yard and it felt like I was checking into a prison scene from a Mad Max movie. However, actual organization, cleanliness and structure of the yard was excellent if you don't mind vehicles suspended upright by empty wheel rims! (Don't want to be inside that yard when a quake hits - NO SIR!) Inside the yard I quickly located the four vehicles only to discover that of all four vehicles only one had a good side mirror remaining (two were already missing their driver's mirrors so clearly this is a sought after item) so I harvested that one. Cost me $35 for the part including taxes and $2 entrance fee. Took less than an hour of time, most of which was spent waiting to pay and leave. Quite an experience and something of an adventure.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.