Shuttering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shuttering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Shuttering

So I've had a few suggestions and am trying to get as many minds as possible on this, so all help is appreciated.

So once the temp started to drop I suddenly got a rough idle and a really bad shutter when I'm driving above 40mph and it drops to ~1500rpms on the downshift (not really a specific rpm but runs between 1200 and 1800 or so). So I cleaned the IAC, idle is fixed (90%). But the shutter is still there. If it starts to shutter I can let off the throttle and then get on it again and it will go away, til it down shifts again and the process restarts. I recently started to notice i'm getting some harmonic vibes on the highway, but I had that slightly over the past few years so not sure if that's accompanying or escalating with this problem. So now for the random check engine light, codes 12 (batt disconnect, even tho it hasn't been disconnected, and 35? or whatever the EGR code is. I know my egr is messed up because last winter the check engine light came on, had it check out mechanic said the wires for the egr melted and fused together, but from the last 12 months i've had no issue with it and the check engine light isn't always on (comes on randomly, I turn off the jeep, turn on and light is gone, most days I never get a check engine light, only long drives or when it's freezing a** cold).

So far I've been recommended
-TPS
-Failing Torque Converted
-Engine/Tranny mounts

don't/can't really just go throwing parts at the jeep as I'm poor haha so any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Unread 01-05-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

You have my vote for torque converter issues.

When is the last time you changed the fluid/filter?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
You have my vote for torque converter issues.

When is the last time you changed the fluid/filter?
Not as long as I've had it. Which has been about a year and half or so
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post

Not as long as I've had it. Which has been about a year and half or so
Its better go by miles.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Its better go by miles.
I've put about 22k on it
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Solve the rough idle first. Baby steps.
At idle, tap on the IAC. If the motor stumbles or stalls the IAC is shot.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Idle is pretty much fixed since I cleaned it. It's not perfect but Def not rough anymore. I'll tap on it later just to see if there's still an issue
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

Bump for answers. Mine is doing exactly what yours is doing. I'm not jacking the post, just want to be able to find it. Don't know if it would help you, but I'm getting code 43 to.
Jcalloway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcalloway View Post
Bump for answers. Mine is doing exactly what yours is doing. I'm not jacking the post, just want to be able to find it. Don't know if it would help you, but I'm getting code 43 to.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/faults/code-43.html

Could be coil, relay, ECM or wiring/connections throwing that code.
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

I changed out plugs and wires last night. Unhooked my battery for about 30 minutes. Hooked it back up. Cranked it up and it was running like a top. I drove it got up to 55 which is usually around 1500 rpms and it was smooth as silk. I was like heck yeah. Then about 5 miles of driving it started like this stop and go like the engine was cutting out or something. Old problem it was shaking. New problem it's like you keep randomly tapping the brake.
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I was like heck yeah.
That's a rare but great feeling.

Is it surging/stalling/sputtering? Lose power altogether or does it just seem like it's coughing?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

I would say losing power for a second at a time. Some times it's really fast in succession. Other times there is about a 3-4 second pause between them. It's like running out of gas I guess. But very fast. Literally feel like your riding a horse. But not shuttering. It was shuttering or shaking. Now it's just maybe stalling. It's not revving up.
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
While running I tapped on the IAC and no change in the idle. Engine was warm. Noticed the motor is rocking pretty good (I think? never really noticed before) in the bay.
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I would say losing power for a second at a time. Some times it's really fast in succession. Other times there is about a 3-4 second pause between them. It's like running out of gas I guess. But very fast. Literally feel like your riding a horse. But not shuttering. It was shuttering or shaking. Now it's just maybe stalling. It's not revving up.
Sounds electrical to me, but a guess. I would try another coil at this point. And swap out the ASD relay.
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
While running I tapped on the IAC and no change in the idle. Engine was warm. Noticed the motor is rocking pretty good (I think? never really noticed before) in the bay.
Maybe like a miss. I'd check fuel pressure. Then plugs. All the free things

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.