Should've been easy but it's not: Rear Lamp Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Should've been easy but it's not: Rear Lamp Failure

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
luvmybluejeep
1994 ZJ 

Should've been easy but it's not: Rear Lamp Failure

Hello Everyone,

The old Rear Lamp Failure message on VIC has captured my interest finally after being pulled over by the law and receiving a operation violation ticket for the rear tail light being out. Failure message would come on when the brake was engaged and sometimes not...thought it might be a little spider action as weirdo things have happened before (Living in CA now, they seem to never die, they just find little crevices in cars to move to.) Anyway, off I went to the local auto supply store to get a rear tail light bulb.

1) Replaced passenger side bulb that provides both tail light and brake light functions as it's a dual filament bulb.
2) The VIC "Rear Lamp Failure" message went away
3) New bulb functions when brake is engaged
4) New bulb does not function as a tail light
5) Side marker light also does not function. Used driver side bulb that was working to confirm that the side marker bulb wasn't the problem.
6) Checked all the other lights: All function in their appropriate manner.
7) Checked fuse #12 looks OK and automatic lights which are on same fuse are working.
8) Checked fuse #21 looks OK.

Any ideas? When the VIC message went away I thought all was good...alas NO. After reading several posts I'm thinking wire issue or issue with LOM.

Thanks in Advance!

luvmybluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Welcome to JF!

Passenger tail lamp bulb and side marker bulb are both powered by same LOM output, Pin#9 LB wire.

Perhaps bad LOM or loose LOM connection.

1. With lights on, check for +12v on LOM output Pin#9 LB wire.

or just...

2. Remove LOM, plug LOM connectors together, check again.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
luvmybluejeep
1994 ZJ 

Thanks KoreaZJ for the input.

I did find a wiring diagram which laid out a visual.

I will give suggestion #2 a shot as I'm a computer geek and don't own or know anyone with an ohmmeter. So I'm assuming that if #2 works the only thing I would be without is the function of the LOM to notify the VIC that a lamp is out.

Will report back soon
Sue
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

check the socket and ground for that side.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybluejeep View Post
So I'm assuming that if #2 works the only thing I would be without is the function of the LOM to notify the VIC that a lamp is out.
Correct. If LOM is bad, grab one from a JY.

Find the Lamp Outage Module behind the small removable panel near the lower-left corner of the hatch.

Bypass the LOM by unplugging both connectors and plugging them together.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
luvmybluejeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybluejeep View Post

I will give suggestion #2 a shot as I'm a computer geek and don't own or know anyone with an ohmmeter.

Will report back soon
Sue
Thanks for the visual and follow-up KoreaZJ got it after I was done. Bypassing the LOM worked. Tip for others: Just take the screw out of the LOM's bracket to easily be able to release the male/female connectors out of the LOM...one screw that's it!

FYI: After bypassing the LOM: the Rear Lamp Failure message is constant but thanks to the jeep software geeks you only get a beep upon engaging the ignition. Not like some of the other issues such as the "Service 4WD Switch."

Have a great rest of your week!
Sue

Last edited by luvmybluejeep; 05-02-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Tags
rear lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.